Обсуждение: convert mdb files to pg?

convert mdb files to pg?

От
"Rick Schumeyer"

Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?

I found a web page for mdbtools but I can’t get it to compile.

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:14:32PM -0500, Rick Schumeyer wrote:
> Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?
>
> I found a web page for mdbtools but I can't get it to compile.

Here are a couple of ways to approach the problem:

1.  Use DBI and connect both to your mdb data source and to your
PostgreSQL one.  Loop through SELECT on the mdb and do INSERTs on
PostgreSQL.

2.  DBI-Link, which is probably overkill for this.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/

Of course, there are other ways, but those are the two that came to
mind :)

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:14:32PM -0500, Rick Schumeyer wrote:
> > Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?
> >
> > I found a web page for mdbtools but I can't get it to compile.
>
> Here are a couple of ways to approach the problem:
>
> 1.  Use DBI and connect both to your mdb data source and to your
> PostgreSQL one.  Loop through SELECT on the mdb and do INSERTs on
> PostgreSQL.
>
> 2.  DBI-Link, which is probably overkill for this.
>
> http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/
>
> Of course, there are other ways, but those are the two that came to
> mind :)

Both of these methods require a Windows machine for the perl to be
running on, right?

    Stephen

Вложения

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Rick Schumeyer wrote:

> -->
>
> Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?

I would use ODBC to create linked tables from Pg and copy from the unlinked
mdb tables.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.
PostgreSQL Support

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:50:11PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:
> > On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:14:32PM -0500, Rick Schumeyer wrote:
> > > Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?
> > >
> > > I found a web page for mdbtools but I can't get it to compile.
> >
> > Here are a couple of ways to approach the problem:
> >
> > 1.  Use DBI and connect both to your mdb data source and to your
> > PostgreSQL one.  Loop through SELECT on the mdb and do INSERTs on
> > PostgreSQL.
> >
> > 2.  DBI-Link, which is probably overkill for this.
> >
> > http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/
> >
> > Of course, there are other ways, but those are the two that came
> > to mind :)
>
> Both of these methods require a Windows machine for the perl to be
> running on, right?

Hrm.  Well, given the givens, I'd say calling the stuff up on a
Windows machine is probably your easiest method.  And possibly
exporting to something that's easier to read on *n*x, like Excel or
CSV.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
Johan Wehtje
Дата:
EMS-Hitech ( http://www.sqlmanager.net ) has a product called PgDataPump
- I have used it to import a number of Access Databases to Postgres, it
is fast, quick to set up, and will even import indexes  and
relationships. They also have an import utility for fine grained control
over the import of data sets (usually particular tables). I have used it
with Postgres 8.0 b2, b5, rc1 and final as well as worth 7.4.2.
You can also use it across a network (Import Access DB on Winbox1 to PG
DB on Linbox 2)
Cheers
Johan Wehtje

David Fetter wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 02:50:11PM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
>

>>* David Fetter (david@fetter.org) wrote:

>>>Here are a couple of ways to approach the problem:
>>>
>>>1.  Use DBI and connect both to your mdb data source and to your
>>>PostgreSQL one.  Loop through SELECT on the mdb and do INSERTs on
>>>PostgreSQL.
>>>
>>>2.  DBI-Link, which is probably overkill for this.
>>>
>>>http://pgfoundry.org/projects/dbi-link/
>>>
>>>Of course, there are other ways, but those are the two that came
>>>to mind :)
>>>

>>Both of these methods require a Windows machine for the perl to be
>>running on, right?
>>

>Hrm.  Well, given the givens, I'd say calling the stuff up on a
>Windows machine is probably your easiest method.  And possibly
>exporting to something that's easier to read on *n*x, like Excel or
>CSV.
>
>Cheers,

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
Stephen Frost
Дата:
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> Rick Schumeyer wrote:
> >Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?
> >
> I would use ODBC to create linked tables from Pg and copy from the unlinked
> mdb tables.

I've tried doing thing and discovered that for large tables it can be
quite slow... (3 hours for a couple million rows), don't suppose you
have some way to speed it up?

    Stephen

Вложения

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
"DBTools Software"
Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?

I found a web page for mdbtools but I can’t get it to compile.

You can use DBTools Manager (http://www.dbtools.com.br). Besides the fact it can manage PostgreSQL, MySQL, SQLite, Interbase, Firebird and Xbase Tables it can also import and export data to and from MSAccess, MSExcel, Text Files, ODBC, Paradox, Clipper, Dbase and FoxPro.

It's for Windows but it doesn't matter were the database server is located.

Best Regards,

Crercio O. Silva

Re: convert mdb files to pg?

От
manfred
Дата:
Am Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:14:32 -0500 hat Rick Schumeyer
<rschumeyer@ieee.org> geschrieben:

> Is there a way to import mdb files from Access into pg?
>
> I found a web page for mdbtools but I can't get it to compile.

Have a look at Access2PgConverter here
http://www.talon.nl/eng/site/start/projects/main.html

Sounds promising. But I've never used it though.

--manfred

--
http://glassdoc.org
http://glassdoc.de