Обсуждение: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
"Frank D. Engel, Jr."
Дата:

Signup at www.doteasy.com

Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
"Joost Kraaijeveld"
Дата:
Hi Frank

I use the following constructs to generate an objectid's in my database:

CREATE SEQUENCE public.tsfraction MAXVALUE 999999;

CREATE FUNCTION getobjectid() RETURNS text
AS '
    select((select(to_char(current_timestamp, \'yyyy-mm-dd-hh-mm-ss\'))) ||
(select(to_char((nextval(\'tsfraction\')),\'-FM000000MI\'))))as return;
'
LANGUAGE 'sql';

CREATE TABLE public.object
(
    objectid text NOT NULL DEFAULT getobjectid(),
    -- other columns omited
    CONSTRAINT pk_object PRIMARY KEY (objectid)
) WITH OIDS;

Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
e-mail: J.Kraaijeveld@Askesis.nl
web: www.askesis.nl

Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
Josué Maldonado
Дата:
Frank,

El 03/01/2005 10:53 AM, Frank D. Engel, Jr. en su mensaje escribio:
> Is there any "convenient" way to generate (on request) a unique value
> for a TEXT column?  I have a situation in which I want users of my
> front-end program to be able to manually enter values for this column,
> but if they leave it blank (in the front-end), to have the database
> automatically fill in a unique value.  I would like to restrict the
> unique values to (for example) digits and uppercase letters (this is
> flexible, but the uniqueness of the values should be visually
> discernible, and all characters should be printable).
>
> I know how to do this with a numeric column (I can just SELECT MAX on
> the column and add one, for example), but how can this be done with a
> TEXT column?

I have plpgsql function to generate random character ids:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."basex" (integer, varchar) RETURNS
varchar AS'
DECLARE
    lnval ALIAS for $1;
    tcdom alias for $2;
    lndomsiz integer;
    lndig integer;
    lcret varchar;
    lnval2 integer ;
    lnpos integer;
    lcdig varchar;
BEGIN
    lndomsiz := char_length(tcdom) ;
    lnVal2 := lnVal;
    lcret :='''';
    while lnVal2 <> 0 loop
        lndig := lnVal2 % lnDomSiz ;
        lnval2 := trunc ( lnVal2/lnDomSiz ) ;
        lnpos := lnDig+1 ;
        lcdig := substr(tcdom,lnpos,1);
        lcret := lcdig || lcret ;
    end loop;
    return lcret;
END;
'LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY INVOKER;

Usually I call it this way:

select lpad(basex(nextval('sqrefno')::int,'12456789CFHRWY'),6,'0');

--
Sinceramente,
Josué Maldonado.

"Que se me den seis líneas escritas de puño y letra del hombre más
honrado del mundo, y hallaré en ellas motivos para hacerle ahorcar."
--cardenal Richelieu (Cardenal y político francés. 1.585 - 1.642)

Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
Scott Marlowe
Дата:
On Mon, 2005-01-03 at 10:53, Frank D. Engel, Jr. wrote:

> Is there any "convenient" way to generate (on request) a unique value
> for a TEXT column?  I have a situation in which I want users of my
> front-end program to be able to manually enter values for this column,
> but if they leave it blank (in the front-end), to have the database
> automatically fill in a unique value.  I would like to restrict the
> unique values to (for example) digits and uppercase letters (this is
> flexible, but the uniqueness of the values should be visually
> discernible, and all characters should be printable).
>
> I know how to do this with a numeric column (I can just SELECT MAX on
> the column and add one, for example), but how can this be done with a
> TEXT column?

You might want to try creating a sequence for this, then doing something
like:

select upper(md5(nextval('lll')));

Then checking to see if that string is already used to be sure and use
that.  If md5 strings are too long, then just substr() the function
above to get a small bit.  Chances of failing uniqueness test will
increase, but you have to test for that anyway, so...

Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud
Дата:
SELECT max, then treat the string as a sequence of characters and
increment the last character, rippling the carry if there is one :

carry = 1
l = len(s)-1
while carry and l>=0:
    c = s[l]
    c += carry
    if c>max_allowed_char:
        c = min_allowed_char
        carry = 1
    else:
        carry = 0
    s[l] = c

if carry:
    s = min_allowed_char + s

If two transactions do the same at the same time, you're out of luck
though !

*** Better solution :

if the value was human-entered, prefix it with 'H',
if it's auto generated, use 'A' concatenated with the value from a sequence

thus the user-entered values can't clahs with the sequence values ; the
sequence values are by definition unique ; and all is well.

or something like that...

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:53:44 -0500, Frank D. Engel, Jr.
<fde101@fjrhome.net> wrote:

> $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
> Signup at www.doteasy.com

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
"Frank D. Engel, Jr."
Дата:

That sounds promising, but I was hoping to avoid a custom function.  Oh
well, I'll get to work on it when I get back from lunch.

If this is done as a stored procedure, won't transaction semantics
prevent it from being a problem when two transactions attempt this
simultaneously?  I'd thought that the output of one would become the
input of the other (in essence, in terms of database state)?

On Jan 3, 2005, at 12:25 PM, Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud wrote:

> SELECT max, then treat the string as a sequence of characters and
> increment the last character, rippling the carry if there is one :
>
> carry = 1
> l = len(s)-1
> while carry and l>=0:
>     c = s[l]
>     c += carry
>     if c>max_allowed_char:
>         c = min_allowed_char
>         carry = 1
>     else:
>         carry = 0
>     s[l] = c
>
> if carry:
>     s = min_allowed_char + s
>
> If two transactions do the same at the same time, you're out of luck
> though !
>
> *** Better solution :
>
> if the value was human-entered, prefix it with 'H',
> if it's auto generated, use 'A' concatenated with the value from a
> sequence
>
> thus the user-entered values can't clahs with the sequence values ;
> the sequence values are by definition unique ; and all is well.
>
> or something like that...
>
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:53:44 -0500, Frank D. Engel, Jr.
> <fde101@fjrhome.net> wrote:

>> $0 Web Hosting with up to 120MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer
>> 10 Personalized POP and Web E-mail Accounts, and much more.
>> Signup at www.doteasy.com
>>

>> ---------------------------(end of
>>

> ---------------------------(end of
> broadcast)---------------------------
> your

Frank D. Engel, Jr.  <fde101@fjrhome.net>

$ ln -s /usr/share/kjvbible /usr/manual
everlasting life.
$

Signup at www.doteasy.com

Re: Generating unique values for TEXT columns

От
Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud

> If this is done as a stored procedure, won't transaction semantics
> prevent it from being a problem when two transactions attempt this
> simultaneously?  I'd thought that the output of one would become the
> input of the other (in essence, in terms of database state)?

    Well, for this you need to use a sequence somewhere, or be prepared to
retry on error.

    Same thing for :
- read key entered from user
- check if it's in the db
- if it's not, then insert

    Is not safe because somebody else may have entered the same key between
the check and the insert. So in a sense the check is useless : just insert
and see if it fails or not. However, the 'max' thingy is guaranteed to
step on other's toes if used concurrently. Which is a lot worse.

    Generally, when you design for concurrent systems, you have two choices :
- use a system primitive that supports concurrency and does almost what
you want, and add a thin layer of code on it (like, putting auto and user
generated keys in separate keyspaces by using different prefixes)
- try to design a primitive yourself ; which is generally complex because
you'll have to lock, unlock, and manage concurrency yourself. So unless
there is no other way, this is a slippy slope !

    That's why the 'max' solution looks nice, but in fact does not work ;
while the 'prefix' solution looks a bit uglier, but it works, and in fact
it's nicer because it also memorizes whereas the key was generated or not.