Обсуждение: QMail

QMail

От
Eric
Дата:
Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails in
pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?

Or maybe it's not a good idea to do that?

I think there is some adavantages...

Re: QMail

От
Steven Klassen
Дата:
* Eric <ericg@conceptid.ca> [2004-10-27 14:14:25 -0400]:

> Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails
> in pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?

This looks informative:

http://qmail-sql.digibel.be/

--
Steven Klassen - Lead Programmer
PostgreSQL Replication & Support Services, (503) 667-4564

Re: QMail

От
Russell Smith
Дата:
On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:14 am, Eric wrote:
> Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails in
> pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?
>
> Or maybe it's not a good idea to do that?
>
> I think there is some adavantages...

also look at http://www.dbmail.org/

Re: QMail

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

Am Sa, den 30.10.2004 schrieb Russell Smith um 8:02:
> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:14 am, Eric wrote:
> > Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails in
> > pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?
> >
> > Or maybe it's not a good idea to do that?
> >
> > I think there is some adavantages...
>
> also look at http://www.dbmail.org/

Do you know anything else? dbmail seems too much mysql
centric while at least providing access to postgresql
which is a pro. The storage of mails in big chunks
seems less then ideal and you need clever views to
get local part and host seperately.

Regards
Tino

Re: QMail

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
>Do you know anything else? dbmail seems too much mysql
>centric while at least providing access to postgresql
>which is a pro. The storage of mails in big chunks
>seems less then ideal and you need clever views to
>get local part and host seperately.

Hello,

We were able to put something together fairly easily in Perl
which has excellent (if you like perl) facilities for dealing
with multi-part mime etc...

Sorry it was for a customer so we can't provide source. However
I know it only took us about 3 days and it has been in place for
2 years without issue.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Regards
>Tino

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: QMail

От
Robby Russell
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 14:14 -0400, Eric wrote:
> Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails in
> pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?
>
> Or maybe it's not a good idea to do that?
>
> I think there is some adavantages...

We use QMail for our vhosting and it works quite well. We have plans to
move the storage into PostgreSQL at some point.

This is on the QMail.org site:

> Mail2DB -- Store incoming mail in a PostgreSQL database. Mail2DB is
> suitable for putting in a .qmail/.forward file and will archive e-mail
> to a SQL database. Currently, there is only the storage component.

ftp://ftp.tummy.com/pub/tummy/Mail2DB/

You will

hth,

-Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby@planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP/PostgreSQL Hosting & Development
*    --- Now supporting PHP5 ---

Re: QMail

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi,

Am Sa, den 30.10.2004 schrieb Joshua D. Drake um 18:25:
> >Do you know anything else? dbmail seems too much mysql
> >centric while at least providing access to postgresql
> >which is a pro. The storage of mails in big chunks
> >seems less then ideal and you need clever views to
> >get local part and host seperately.
> >

> Hello,
>
> We were able to put something together fairly easily in Perl
> which has excellent (if you like perl) facilities for dealing
> with multi-part mime etc...
>
> Sorry it was for a customer so we can't provide source. However
> I know it only took us about 3 days and it has been in place for
> 2 years without issue.

Thx, even with python the email/mime/multipart handling is no
issue. The problem comes with IMAP _server_ support. Client
libs are available too. Does your solution provide IMAP
access with ordinary mail clients?

Regards
Tino

Re: QMail

От
Chris Browne
Дата:
tino@wildenhain.de (Tino Wildenhain) writes:
> Am Sa, den 30.10.2004 schrieb Russell Smith um 8:02:
>> On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 04:14 am, Eric wrote:
>> > Is there something to interface postgreSQL with QMail to store mails in
>> > pgsql instead of using mbox or maildir?
>> >
>> > Or maybe it's not a good idea to do that?
>> >
>> > I think there is some adavantages...
>>
>> also look at http://www.dbmail.org/
>
> Do you know anything else? dbmail seems too much mysql
> centric while at least providing access to postgresql
> which is a pro. The storage of mails in big chunks
> seems less then ideal and you need clever views to
> get local part and host seperately.

I seriously question the merits of interfacing qmail with PostgreSQL;
qmail is "merely" an MTA, and is basically where mail would get
_queued_ until it is delivered to someone's 'mailbox.'

qmail isn't a 'mailbox manager,' so using PG as the data store for
qmail just doesn't seem sensible.

What _would_ seem sensible would be to use PG for the data store for
an IMAP server.

The most relevant one would seem to be Decimail:

  <http://decimail.org/>

Decimail...

    * Is an IMAP / SMTP email server.
    * Uses a PostgreSQL database to store the messages.
    * Defines mailboxes using SQL queries.

The way it handles mailboxes is very interesting...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/linuxxian.html

Re: QMail

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Am Di, den 02.11.2004 schrieb Chris Browne um 0:05:
> tino@wildenhain.de (Tino Wildenhain) writes:

> >> also look at http://www.dbmail.org/
> >
> > Do you know anything else? dbmail seems too much mysql
> > centric while at least providing access to postgresql
> > which is a pro. The storage of mails in big chunks
> > seems less then ideal and you need clever views to
> > get local part and host seperately.
>
> I seriously question the merits of interfacing qmail with PostgreSQL;
> qmail is "merely" an MTA, and is basically where mail would get
> _queued_ until it is delivered to someone's 'mailbox.'
>
> qmail isn't a 'mailbox manager,' so using PG as the data store for
> qmail just doesn't seem sensible.

_I_ know ;)

> What _would_ seem sensible would be to use PG for the data store for
> an IMAP server.

that is, what dbmail tries to do.

> The most relevant one would seem to be Decimail:
>
>   <http://decimail.org/>
>
> Decimail...
>
>     * Is an IMAP / SMTP email server.
>     * Uses a PostgreSQL database to store the messages.
>     * Defines mailboxes using SQL queries.
>
> The way it handles mailboxes is very interesting...

Indeed, looks conceptional perfect. Lets try it.
Thanks for the hint!

Regards
Tino