Обсуждение: To OID or not to OID

To OID or not to OID

От
"David Parker"
Дата:
I've been looking through the archives for guidance on whether or not we
should create our tables WITHOUT OIDS. I've seen some discussions about
making WITHOUT the default for user tables, and seen some caveats about
the oid int value wrapping, etc., but I haven't been able to find a
discussion of the relative merits (I'm sure there's been one....)

Is there any concrete reason NOT to create tables WITHOUT OIDS? We are
going to have some very large tables in our app, so saving the space and
not worrying about int-wrap seems like a good idea, but I'm worried that
I'm missing something.

-  DAP
David Parker    Tazz Networks    (401) 709-5130

Re: To OID or not to OID

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
"David Parker" <dparker@tazznetworks.com> writes:

> Is there any concrete reason NOT to create tables WITHOUT OIDS? We are
> going to have some very large tables in our app, so saving the space and
> not worrying about int-wrap seems like a good idea, but I'm worried that
> I'm missing something.

Nothing in PG depends on user tables having an OID column.  They used
to be a way to get a primary key before SERIAL came along, but they
are now deprecated for user tables.  WITHOUT OIDS will be the default
in a future release.

-Doug
   --T. J. Jackson, 1863

Re: To OID or not to OID

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 00:23, Doug McNaught wrote:
> Nothing in PG depends on user tables having an OID column.  They used
> to be a way to get a primary key before SERIAL came along, but they
> are now deprecated for user tables.  WITHOUT OIDS will be the default
> in a future release.

Indeed, that will be the default in 8.1, if we stick to the previous
discussions on -hackers. 8.0 introduces a GUC variable
"default_with_oids" that controls whether OIDs are added to tables by
default. In 8.0 this will be true by default (so 8.0 will behave exactly
the same as earlier releases), but I'll be pushing for it to be set to
false for 8.1.

-Neil