Обсуждение: postgres book

postgres book

От
Greg Donald
Дата:
I'm thinking of getting this book and was wondering if anyone had
anything bad (or good) to say about it?  More than that I'd really
like to know what version of Postgres it covers, the sample pages
don't seem to say.

http://tinyurl.com/5xtpp

TIA..

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/

Re: postgres book

От
Jeff Amiel
Дата:
I used this book as my intro and my guide in my first few months running
postgresql....
I thought it was super informative...had lots of real usable info....and
I still occasionally refer to it...

Jeff

Greg Donald wrote:

>I'm thinking of getting this book and was wondering if anyone had
>anything bad (or good) to say about it?  More than that I'd really
>like to know what version of Postgres it covers, the sample pages
>don't seem to say.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5xtpp
>
>TIA..
>
>--
>Greg Donald
>http://destiney.com/

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: postgres book

От
Duane Lee - EGOVX

I like the book.  It covers up to 7.2 but don't let that bother you it still has plenty of appropriate information crammed inside.

Duane

I'm thinking of getting this book and was wondering if anyone had
anything bad (or good) to say about it?  More than that I'd really
like to know what version of Postgres it covers, the sample pages
don't seem to say.

http://tinyurl.com/5xtpp

TIA..

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com/

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: postgres book

От
Christopher Browne
Дата:
Quoth destiney@gmail.com (Greg Donald):
> I'm thinking of getting this book and was wondering if anyone had
> anything bad (or good) to say about it?  More than that I'd really
> like to know what version of Postgres it covers, the sample pages
> don't seem to say.

It's up to date for about 7.2, which is really about the best that any
book offers at present.  It has _very_ good sections describing file
layouts and how to read query plans.

I keep the O'Reilly book _more_ handy for the sake of the function
summaries that are a bit easier to get at, but otherwise, I prefer
Douglas' & Douglas' book.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "ntlug.org")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/sap.html
> It's up to date for about 7.2, which is really about the best that any
> book offers at present.  It has _very_ good sections describing file
> layouts and how to read query plans.

Thanks to all.  I ordered it.

--
Greg Donald