Обсуждение: 8.0.0 beta 2, void type

8.0.0 beta 2, void type

От
"Nick Hajek"
Дата:
            I have moved a DB from 7.4.3 to 8.0.0b2 for testing and am
experiencing some
            problems with the void type within pl functions.  I am calling a
function which
            returns a void from within another function and have defined a
variable of type
            void to catch the returned value.  This worked fine in 7.4.x but
when executed
            in 8 generates a "variable has pseudo-type void" error.  Is this
a bug or a
            change in functionality?  Is there a workaround short of
rewritting all
            functions to return a non-void value?

            thanks,

            Nick

Re: 8.0.0 beta 2, void type

Дата:
"Nick Hajek" <nhajek@vishay.com> writes:
> I have moved a DB from 7.4.3 to 8.0.0b2 for testing and am
> experiencing some problems with the void type within pl functions.
> I am calling a function which returns a void from within another
> function and have defined a variable of type void to catch the
> returned value.

Er, why would you want to catch a void return value?  Seems like
you ought to use a PERFORM statement.

            regards, tom lane

Re: 8.0.0 beta 2, void type

От
"Nick Hajek"
Дата:
> > I have moved a DB from 7.4.3 to 8.0.0b2 for testing and am
> > experiencing some problems with the void type within pl functions.
> > I am calling a function which returns a void from within another
> > function and have defined a variable of type void to catch the
> > returned value.
>
> Er, why would you want to catch a void return value?  Seems like
> you ought to use a PERFORM statement.
>
> regards, tom lane

I didn't know about PERFORM so was just doing what I discovered would work.
Thanks for the tip.

Nick