Обсуждение: The future of built-in geometric data types

The future of built-in geometric data types

От
David Garamond
Дата:
I'm pretty clueless in regard to the PostGIS situation. Will it be
integrated with PostgreSQL in the future? What are the benefits of using
the builtin geometry types (since they don't have R-tree indexes)?

--
dave

Re: The future of built-in geometric data types

Дата:
David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
> I'm pretty clueless in regard to the PostGIS situation. Will it be
> integrated with PostgreSQL in the future?

No.  Wrong license.

> What are the benefits of using
> the builtin geometry types (since they don't have R-tree indexes)?

Some of 'em do.  By and large, though, they are more proof-of-concept
than industrial-strength code, IMHO.  PostGIS is certainly a better bet
if it does what you want.

            regards, tom lane

Re: The future of built-in geometric data types

От
David Fetter
Дата:
On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:52:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
> > I'm pretty clueless in regard to the PostGIS situation. Will it be
> > integrated with PostgreSQL in the future?
>
> No.  Wrong license.

If the license were changed to be BSD compatible, are there other
barriers to adoption?

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

Re: The future of built-in geometric data types

Дата:
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 11:52:05PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> David Garamond <lists@zara.6.isreserved.com> writes:
>>> I'm pretty clueless in regard to the PostGIS situation. Will it be
>>> integrated with PostgreSQL in the future?
>>
>> No.  Wrong license.

> If the license were changed to be BSD compatible, are there other
> barriers to adoption?

Not sure, but the question is moot.  We've already asked the PostGIS
guys to consider a license change, and they've declined.

            regards, tom lane

Re: The future of built-in geometric data types

От
Daniel Martini
Дата:
Citing Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> >>
> >> No.  Wrong license.
>
> > If the license were changed to be BSD compatible, are there other
> > barriers to adoption?
>
> Not sure, but the question is moot.  We've already asked the PostGIS
> guys to consider a license change, and they've declined.
>
>             regards, tom lane

What if a lot of people asked?
(I would be one of them).

Regards,