Обсуждение: pdql, pg_dump, and pg_restore

pdql, pg_dump, and pg_restore

От
nzanella@cs.mun.ca (Neil Zanella)
Дата:
Hello,

I have an SQL database which I create with:

psql -f create.sql foodb

I then access this database and perform several insertions, modifications,
and deletions. Finally, I want to backup my database. I do not want to
backup the schema. All I want is a set of insert statements stored in
a file insert.sql which I can run on a set of empty database tables
with the command:

psql -f insert.sql foodb

in order to restore the contents of the database to what it was previously.

I have tried the utilities pg_dump and pg_restore and
read the manual pages, but after running pg_dump I get a file with the whole
schema, not exactly what I wanted. And when I restore it my application
does not find what it needs any more.

So my question is, how do I properly do the type of dump and restore that
I have described above. I don't care which file format, as long as I can
just repopulate empty tables. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but
the problem I am having is that upon restoring the dump my application
does not find the appropriate fields in the appropriate tables. ???

All that should be needed is one command to dump, and one to restore, right?

Thanks,

Neil

Re: pdql, pg_dump, and pg_restore

От
"Uwe C. Schroeder"
Дата:

Probably you haven't read the manpage good enough :-)
There are switches to pg_dump to turn off the schema, reconnects, owner
information etc.
Here's what you're probably looking for:

pg_dump -R -O -a -i -d -f backupfile.sql   database_name

This will do:

no reconnect
no owner
ignore postgres server version missmatch
dump data only
dump as full sql insert statements (no copy)
it will backup everything in database "database_name" to file backupfile.sql.

Hope that helps

UC

On Saturday 31 July 2004 12:57 pm, Neil Zanella wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have an SQL database which I create with:
>
> psql -f create.sql foodb
>
> I then access this database and perform several insertions, modifications,
> and deletions. Finally, I want to backup my database. I do not want to
> backup the schema. All I want is a set of insert statements stored in
> a file insert.sql which I can run on a set of empty database tables
> with the command:
>
> psql -f insert.sql foodb
>
> in order to restore the contents of the database to what it was previously.
>
> I have tried the utilities pg_dump and pg_restore and
> read the manual pages, but after running pg_dump I get a file with the
> whole schema, not exactly what I wanted. And when I restore it my
> application does not find what it needs any more.
>
> So my question is, how do I properly do the type of dump and restore that
> I have described above. I don't care which file format, as long as I can
> just repopulate empty tables. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but
> the problem I am having is that upon restoring the dump my application
> does not find the appropriate fields in the appropriate tables. ???
>
> All that should be needed is one command to dump, and one to restore,
> right?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Neil

- --
    UC

- --
Open Source Solutions 4U, LLC    2570 Fleetwood Drive
Phone:  +1 650 872 2425        San Bruno, CA 94066
Cell:   +1 650 302 2405        United States
Fax:    +1 650 872 2417