Обсуждение: Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

От
"Chris Ochs"
Дата:
It doesn't currently seem possible to switch between different users using
SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION.  If I log in as the superuser and switch to
another user that works, but if I then switch to a second user in succession
I get permission denied when I try to select from a table that the user does
have access to.  Following is a cut and paste of two sessions showing what I
mean (with certain details masked out).

defender# psql db1-U pgsql
lcome to psql 7.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

paygw=# set search_path to poi,public;
SET
paygw=# set session authorization poi;
SET
paygw=> select * from get_accountsettings_by_username('poi');
 settletype | fraudchecks | mer_id | username | cgipass |    test_card     |
testcard_status | network | dupchecks | gatewaypass |  duptime  |
itemtypes_allowed | debug_log
------------+-------------+--------+----------+---------+------------------+
-----------------+---------+-----------+-------------+-----------+----------
---------+-----------
 AUTO       | OFF         | 9300   | poi      | XXXX| XXXXXXXXXX         |
vital   | OFF       |             | 1 seconds | 1                 | ON
(1 row)

paygw=> reset session authorization;
RESET
paygw=# set search_path to jdonline,public;
SET
paygw=# set session authorization jdonline;
SET
paygw=> select * from get_accountsettings_by_username('jdonline');
ERROR:  permission denied for relation account_settings
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "get_accountsettings_by_username" line 5 at
select into variables
paygw=> \q

-------------
psql db1 -U jdonline

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help on internal slash commands
       \q to quit

paygw=> set search_path to jdonline,public;
SET
paygw=> select * from get_accountsettings_by_username('jdonline');
 settletype | fraudchecks | mer_id | username | cgipass |    test_card     |
testcard_status | network | dupchecks | gatewaypass | duptime  |
itemtypes_allowed | debug_log
------------+-------------+--------+----------+---------+------------------+
-----------------+---------+-----------+-------------+----------+-----------
--------+-----------
 AUTO       | OFF         | 0502   | jdonline | XXXXXX|XXXX           | fhms
| ON        |             | 3 months | 1                 | ON
(1 row)

paygw=>

Re: Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

От
"Chris Ochs"
Дата:
A followup on this.   If I "select * from account_settings" directly it
works, but if I call the function "get_accountsettings_by_username" it
fails.  So it seems like an issue with functions in particular.  Following
is the function in question if that helps.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_accountsettings_by_username(varchar) RETURNS
acctsettingsrec AS
'
DECLARE
   r acctsettingsrec%ROWTYPE;
   in_username ALIAS FOR $1;
BEGIN
   SELECT INTO r
settletype,fraudchecks,mer_id,username,cgipass,test_card,testcard_status,net
work,dupchecks,gatewaypass,duptime,item
types_allowed,debug_log from account_settings where username = in_username;
   RETURN r;
END '
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

> [...]
>
> paygw=> set search_path to jdonline,public;
> SET
> paygw=> select * from get_accountsettings_by_username('jdonline');
>  settletype | fraudchecks | mer_id | username | cgipass |    test_card
|
> testcard_status | network | dupchecks | gatewaypass | duptime  |
> itemtypes_allowed | debug_log
> ------------+-------------+--------+----------+---------+-----------------
-+
> -----------------+---------+-----------+-------------+----------+---------
--
> --------+-----------
>  AUTO       | OFF         | 0502   | jdonline | XXXXXX|XXXX           |
fhms
> | ON        |             | 3 months | 1                 | ON
> (1 row)
>
> paygw=>

Re: Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

Дата:
Ok this probably isn't a bug but a side affect of how functions are cached.
Changing the function to use EXECUTE to perform the query works.  I don't
know if this particular scenario was ever even though of before, or if in
the future it would make sense to have the query planner not cache the
session user/current user?  I'll leave that to those that understand the
implications more than I do.

Chris

> A followup on this.   If I "select * from account_settings" directly it
> works, but if I call the function "get_accountsettings_by_username" it
> fails.  So it seems like an issue with functions in particular.  Following
> is the function in question if that helps.
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION get_accountsettings_by_username(varchar)
RETURNS
> acctsettingsrec AS
> '
> DECLARE
>    r acctsettingsrec%ROWTYPE;
>    in_username ALIAS FOR $1;
> BEGIN
>    SELECT INTO r

settletype,fraudchecks,mer_id,username,cgipass,test_card,testcard_status,net
> work,dupchecks,gatewaypass,duptime,item
> types_allowed,debug_log from account_settings where username =
in_username;
>    RETURN r;
> END '
> LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

Дата:
"Chris Ochs" <chris@paymentonline.com> writes:
> Ok this probably isn't a bug but a side affect of how functions are cached.
> Changing the function to use EXECUTE to perform the query works.  I don't
> know if this particular scenario was ever even though of before, or if in
> the future it would make sense to have the query planner not cache the
> session user/current user?

It doesn't cache that.  I'm not sure what's going on here ... could you
provide a self-contained test script?

            regards, tom lane

Re: Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

От
"Chris Ochs"
Дата:
On my system I get permission denied when I switch to pgtest2 and select *
from pgtest_func.

Chris

-- create objects --
CREATE USER pgtest1 WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'pass' NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE USER pgtest2 WITH ENCRYPTED PASSWORD 'pass' NOCREATEDB NOCREATEUSER;
CREATE SCHEMA pgtest1 AUTHORIZATION pgtest1;
CREATE SCHEMA pgtest2 AUTHORIZATION pgtest2;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION pgtest_func() returns integer AS '
DECLARE
   in_test varchar;
BEGIN
   in_test := test FROM pgtest_table;
   RETURN 1;
END
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION pgtest1;
SET SEARCH_PATH TO pgtest1,public;
CREATE TABLE pgtest_table
(
        test varchar(24)
);
INSERT INTO pgtest_table(test) values('PGTEST1');

RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION pgtest2;
SET SEARCH_PATH TO pgtest2,public;
CREATE TABLE pgtest_table
(
        test varchar(24)
);
INSERT INTO pgtest_table(test) values('PGTEST2');

-- switch to pgtest1 and run pgtest_func --
RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION pgtest1;
SET SEARCH_PATH TO pgtest1,public;
SELECT * from pgtest_func();

-- switch to pgtest2 and run pgtest_func --
RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION pgtest2;
SET SEARCH_PATH TO pgtest2,public;
SELECT * from pgtest_func();

RESET SESSION AUTHORIZATION;
DROP USER pgtest1;
DROP USER pgtest2;
DROP SCHEMA pgtest1 CASCADE;
DROP SCHEMA pgtest2 CASCADE;
DROP FUNCTION pgtest_func();

> > Ok this probably isn't a bug but a side affect of how functions are
cached.
> > Changing the function to use EXECUTE to perform the query works.  I
don't
> > know if this particular scenario was ever even though of before, or if
in
> > the future it would make sense to have the query planner not cache the
> > session user/current user?
>
> It doesn't cache that.  I'm not sure what's going on here ... could you
> provide a self-contained test script?
>
> regards, tom lane

Re: Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

Дата:
"Chris Ochs" <chris@paymentonline.com> writes:
> On my system I get permission denied when I switch to pgtest2 and select *
> from pgtest_func.

What's being cached here is not the authorization, but the table
reference --- that is, the function's SELECT FROM pgtest_table
is resolved as pgtest1.pgtest_table the first time you run it,
and that remains true even though the schema search path is
different during the second call.  The permissions failure occurs
because the correct user is trying to access the wrong table,
not wrong user and right table.

There's been some talk of trying to deal with this by associating
cached plans with particular schema search path strings, but no
one's done anything about it yet --- it looks expensive, and it
wouldn't prevent every failure of this sort anyway.  Consider
for example that your search path is a,b,c, and on the first time
through "t1" is resolved as "b.t1".  Now you create an "a.t1"
and call the function again.  The search path is still the same,
so a cache based on checking that would not notice that it ought
to recompile the query.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Possible SET SESSION AUTHORIZATION bug

От
"Chris Ochs"
Дата:
Makes sense thanks for the explanation.  Using FOR-IN-EXECUTE works just as
well in our case.  Every call to the function is likely to be a different
schema, so caching wouldn't help us much anyways.   The only negative is
that the functions get uglier using EXECUTE:)

Chris