Обсуждение: PgSQL shut down

PgSQL shut down

От
"Deepa K"
Дата:
Hi,
  I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
server? Can any one help me on this.

--
regards,
Deepa K

Re: PgSQL shut down

От
"Scott Marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:03, Deepa K wrote:
> Hi,
>   I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
> disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
> server? Can any one help me on this.

That's a lot like saying "I've got a 1935 Chrysler and the windows are
pane glass" in terms of how old 7.1.3 is.  That far back I don't think
the backend knew what to do when it ran out of space.  It's likely not
shutting down but crashing, or something in between.

Do you have recent enough backups to not need the data in the exact form
on the database, or do you need what's on there right now?  Try putting
it on a larger partition and seeing if the database will come up and
run.  But this is so far back, I'm not even sure what to do to get it
back up any more.

You should really look at upgrading when you get a chance, after we get
this fixed...

Re: PgSQL shut down

От
ecomeau@signiant.com (Eric)
Дата:
smarlowe@qwest.net ("Scott Marlowe") wrote in message news:<1087537256.28062.3.camel@localhost.localdomain>...
> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:03, Deepa K wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
> > disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
> > server? Can any one help me on this.
>
> That's a lot like saying "I've got a 1935 Chrysler and the windows are
> pane glass" in terms of how old 7.1.3 is.  That far back I don't think
> the backend knew what to do when it ran out of space.  It's likely not
> shutting down but crashing, or something in between.
>
> Do you have recent enough backups to not need the data in the exact form
> on the database, or do you need what's on there right now?  Try putting
> it on a larger partition and seeing if the database will come up and
> run.  But this is so far back, I'm not even sure what to do to get it
> back up any more.
>
> You should really look at upgrading when you get a chance, after we get
> this fixed...

Same thing will happen under v7.2.4 as well, database will shutdown if
it runs out of disk space.

It won't shutdown if the disk is 100% full and you are only doing
"Selects" my experience has been.....

So when the disk goes to 100%, just don't write the DB anymore and it
won't shutdown ;-)

Re: PgSQL shut down

Дата:
ecomeau@signiant.com (Eric) writes:
> smarlowe@qwest.net ("Scott Marlowe") wrote in message news:<1087537256.28062.3.camel@localhost.localdomain>...
>> On Thu, 2004-06-17 at 23:03, Deepa K wrote:
>>> I am using Postgresql 7.1.3. PgSQL server gets shut down once the hard
>>> disk space becomes full. Is thers any particular reason to shut down the
>>> server? Can any one help me on this.
>>
>> That's a lot like saying "I've got a 1935 Chrysler and the windows are
>> pane glass" in terms of how old 7.1.3 is.

> Same thing will happen under v7.2.4 as well, database will shutdown if
> it runs out of disk space.

7.2.4 isn't exactly modern either.  AFAIK 7.4 handles this okay...
Chris Kings-Lynne found a corner-case bug back in January, but at that
point his database had already survived something like 40 minutes from
the first out-of-disk-space error.

You *will* get a panic if you run out of space for WAL, but under normal
load conditions the WAL space requirements stay constant and so even
a zero-space situation doesn't trigger a panic.  It's safer if you can
separate WAL and data onto different filesystems, though.

            regards, tom lane