Обсуждение: Index on computed column

Index on computed column

От
han.holl@pobox.com (Han Holl)
Дата:
Hi,

Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong:
(The first select is to show that the function rubriek exists, and does work).
I want to create an index on a computed column:

palga=> select rubriek(rapport, lseek, 'naamvrouw',0) from main
     where rapport = 'T098-20900';
  rubriek
-----------
 Ramrattan
(1 row)
palga=> create index nm_idx on main (rubriek(rapport, lseek, 'naamvrouw',0));
ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'naamvrouw'" at character 54
palga=>

This is postgresql-7.3.4-3.rhl9.

Thanks in advance,

Han Holl

Re: Index on computed column

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:48:42PM -0700, Han Holl wrote:

> Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong:
> (The first select is to show that the function rubriek exists, and does work).
> I want to create an index on a computed column:

Functional indexes could not have constants in 7.3; you can build a
wrapper function with the constant embedded, and create an index using
the wrapper function.

Or you can just use 7.4.

"La virtud es el justo medio entre dos defectos" (Aristóteles)

Re: Index on computed column

От
Stephan Szabo
Дата:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Han Holl wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone explain to me what I'm doing wrong:
> (The first select is to show that the function rubriek exists, and does work).
> I want to create an index on a computed column:
>
> palga=> select rubriek(rapport, lseek, 'naamvrouw',0) from main
>      where rapport = 'T098-20900';
>   rubriek
> -----------
>  Ramrattan
> (1 row)
> palga=> create index nm_idx on main (rubriek(rapport, lseek, 'naamvrouw',0));
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'naamvrouw'" at character 54
> palga=>
>
> This is postgresql-7.3.4-3.rhl9.

In 7.3, functional indexes can only be across columns of the table, so
something like the above is illegal.  You can get around this my making a
function that hardcodes the constants and then use that in the index and
queries.

In 7.4, you can index a more general set of expressions.

Re: Index on computed column

От
Kris Jurka
Дата:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Han Holl wrote:

> palga=> create index nm_idx on main (rubriek(rapport, lseek, 'naamvrouw',0));
> ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'naamvrouw'" at character 54
> palga=>
>
> This is postgresql-7.3.4-3.rhl9.

You cannot create functional indexes with a constant in the 7.3 series.
This capability was only added in the 7.4 series.  You can work around
this problem by creating a wrapper function that calls the real function
with the constants and creating the index on the wrapper function.

Kris Jurka