Обсуждение: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

От
Anony Mous
Дата:
Hi,

We've got some clients that are concerned about running Postgresql 7.3.4 on
a Win2k Server box, alongside MS SQL Server.  I've been running pg on my XP
machines for a long time now (with cygwin) and never had any sort of
problem.  The db is fast and stable.

Does anyone have any experience that would give some weight to our client's
concerns?  Would there be any potential conflict between the postmaster and
MS SQL Server?  Your experience and advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Peter

Re: FW: Postgres alongside MS SQL Server

От
Anony Mous
Дата:
I'm not ruling out the idea of running with a separate linux box, but there
are some strong reasons to stick with the MS box.  So, your point is well
taken.

That aside, however, I still need to draw from various people's experience
to get a feel for any problems that may arise when running next to MS SQL
Server.  I've heard that Postgresql is a task that runs with "Normal"
priority, and can therefore not lock up the machine to the point where it's
not recoverable.  In contrast, I've heard as well that MS SQL Server does
indeed run as a high priority task and will take precedence when the OS
doles out CPU resources.

How is it possible for Postgresql to "freak out" and take out the machine?

Replies are greatly appreciated.

-Peter