Обсуждение: Case of strings

Case of strings

От
"Simon Windsor"

Hi

I have moved an application from MySQL to PgSQL, and after the making changes I thought all was ok.

However, I have just realised that

Where A = ‘STRING’

Is not the same as

Where A =’String’

Is there anyway I can force the PgSQL to accept case equivalence, or must I add upper()/lower() to force the case and then make string tests?

Ie Where upper(A)=upper(‘String’)

Many thanx

Simon

Simon Windsor

Eml: simon.windsor@cornfield.org.uk

Tel: 01454 617689

Mob: 07960 321599

believed to be clean.

Re: Case of strings

От
"cnliou"
Дата:
>Is there anyway I can force the PgSQL to accept case
equivalence, or must I
>add upper()/lower() to force the case and then make string
tests?

>Ie Where upper(A)=upper('String')

I think you already answered your own question as pgsql
document does in section

"9.4. String Functions and Operators"

Regards,
CN

Re: Case of strings

От
Michael Chaney
Дата:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:06:58PM -0000, Simon Windsor wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have moved an application from MySQL to PgSQL, and after the making
> changes I thought all was ok.
>
> However, I have just realised that
>
> Where A = 'STRING'
>
> Is not the same as
>
> Where A ='String'

This is standard SQL.  It's possible to use functions inside index
definitions, so you can force case and search on the same.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney@michaelchaney.com

Re: Case of strings

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 27/02/2004 12:06 Simon Windsor wrote:
> Is there anyway I can force the PgSQL to accept case equivalence, or must
> add upper()/lower() to force the case and then make string tests?
>

> Ie Where upper(A)=upper('String')

You could use ilike

where a ilike 'string'

You can also use POSIX regular expressions.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |