Обсуждение: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

От
"Jeffrey W. Baker"
Дата:
Dear list,

We are using PostgreSQL with the database and xlogs on (separate) XFS
volumes under Linux 2.4.25.  We are simply curious to hear your
experiences with this combination, if you are using it.  In only two
days of heavy activity, we've already been able to corrupt one
database.  We've also seen XFS panic because of inconsistent in-memory
metadata.  Frankly we don't have the highest confidence.

Anybody out there also using PostgreSQL over XFS with success or
otherwise?

-jwb

Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

От
Holger Marzen
Дата:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> We are using PostgreSQL with the database and xlogs on (separate) XFS
> volumes under Linux 2.4.25.  We are simply curious to hear your
> experiences with this combination, if you are using it.  In only two
> days of heavy activity, we've already been able to corrupt one
> database.  We've also seen XFS panic because of inconsistent in-memory
> metadata.  Frankly we don't have the highest confidence.

I am afraid that xfs in that kernel or your hardware is buggy (probably
RAM). A 24h run of memtest86 wouldn't be bad.

Since PostgreSQL uses the operating system's calls for file operations
as any other program does, it's most probably no PostgreSQL issue.

Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

От
"Jeffrey W. Baker"
Дата:
On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 11:46, Holger Marzen wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>
> > We are using PostgreSQL with the database and xlogs on (separate) XFS
> > volumes under Linux 2.4.25.  We are simply curious to hear your
> > experiences with this combination, if you are using it.  In only two
> > days of heavy activity, we've already been able to corrupt one
> > database.  We've also seen XFS panic because of inconsistent in-memory
> > metadata.  Frankly we don't have the highest confidence.
>
> I am afraid that xfs in that kernel or your hardware is buggy (probably
> RAM). A 24h run of memtest86 wouldn't be bad.
>
> Since PostgreSQL uses the operating system's calls for file operations
> as any other program does, it's most probably no PostgreSQL issue.

I don't see why not.  PostgreSQL could easily have a bug that swaps a
buffer somewhere, resulting in a corrupt table.  That we see this only
on the INSERT path and not the COMMIT path also seems to point towards
Pg.

Anyway, you didn't mention XFS.  Do you have experience using it beneath
Postgres?

Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

От
Bill Moran
Дата:
Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 11:46, Holger Marzen wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
>>
>>>We are using PostgreSQL with the database and xlogs on (separate) XFS
>>>volumes under Linux 2.4.25.  We are simply curious to hear your
>>>experiences with this combination, if you are using it.  In only two
>>>days of heavy activity, we've already been able to corrupt one
>>>database.  We've also seen XFS panic because of inconsistent in-memory
>>>metadata.  Frankly we don't have the highest confidence.
>>
>>I am afraid that xfs in that kernel or your hardware is buggy (probably
>>RAM). A 24h run of memtest86 wouldn't be bad.
>>
>>Since PostgreSQL uses the operating system's calls for file operations
>>as any other program does, it's most probably no PostgreSQL issue.
>
> I don't see why not.

Because Postgres is in use on systems all over the place without problems.

> PostgreSQL could easily have a bug that swaps a
> buffer somewhere, resulting in a corrupt table.

Not easily.  If such a bug existed, I would think that someone else
would have complained about it before now.  I have 3 Postgres servers
under varying levels of usage - all are rock solid reliable, with uptimes
easily over 30 days without problems.  These crashes you describe are
unlikely to be coming from Postgres.

> That we see this only
> on the INSERT path and not the COMMIT path also seems to point towards
> Pg.

Not really.

Have you used something like bonnie++ to test XFS for reliability?
Have you run memtest86 as was suggested?

In my experience, faulty hardware is far more common than what you are
suggesting.

> Anyway, you didn't mention XFS.  Do you have experience using it beneath
> Postgres?

Personally, I have tested it for its performance capabilities, but never
deployed it long-term.  However, in my experience, it works reliably.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

От
Brandon Craig Rhodes
Дата:
"Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwbaker@acm.org> writes:

> We've also seen XFS panic because of inconsistent in-memory
> metadata.

From this fact alone we may deduce with absolute confidence that
either your hardware or your filesystem implementation are faulty.
There is no combination of operations which any application, buggy or
not, that can cause a properly written XFS driver on error-free
hardware to become corrupted.

--
Brandon Craig Rhodes                         http://www.rhodesmill.org/brandon
Georgia Tech                                            brandon@oit.gatech.edu

Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
On Thursday 26 February 2004 12:09 pm, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 11:46, Holger Marzen wrote:
> > On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
> > > We are using PostgreSQL with the database and xlogs on
> > > (separate) XFS volumes under Linux 2.4.25.  We are simply
> > > curious to hear your experiences with this combination, if you
> > > are using it.  In only two days of heavy activity, we've
> > > already been able to corrupt one database.  We've also seen XFS
> > > panic because of inconsistent in-memory metadata.  Frankly we
> > > don't have the highest confidence.
> >
> > I am afraid that xfs in that kernel or your hardware is buggy
> > (probably RAM). A 24h run of memtest86 wouldn't be bad.
> >
> > Since PostgreSQL uses the operating system's calls for file
> > operations as any other program does, it's most probably no
> > PostgreSQL issue.
>
> I don't see why not.  PostgreSQL could easily have a bug that swaps
> a buffer somewhere, resulting in a corrupt table.  That we see this
> only on the INSERT path and not the COMMIT path also seems to point
> towards Pg.
>
> Anyway, you didn't mention XFS.  Do you have experience using it
> beneath Postgres?

I do. It's great.

One of my PostgreSQL machines uses XFS with everything (data, xlogs,
etc.) on the same XFS partition. Machine uptime: 247 days. PostgreSQL
uptime 74 days (restarted while testing reconfiguration options).
PostgreSQL crashes: 0.

As the good doc says, "when you hear hoofbeats think horses, not
zebras." Don't chase some hypothetical theoretical possible problem
when it's known that bad RAM causes problems, especially when your
error message seems to point toward RAM trouble.

I give all my new machines a good test with memtest86 or the newer
memtest86+ before installation. Just two weeks ago I got a machine
that looked good after the first couple of passes but when I went to
do a final check and install it a week and 1000 passes later it
reported 6 errors in one memory location - a frustrating random crash
just waiting to happen.

Cheers,
Steve