Обсуждение: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

wishlist: dynamic log volume control

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
We extract great value from logging every SQL statement, its duration, etc.,
in service to debugging, troubleshooting, monitoring, etc.  But we have a
number of clusters that seem to always be bumping into disk I/O
bottlenecks.  With a system running at 100 QPS, we're inclined to quiet the
logging and only turn it up as needed (which will, by definition, be while
it was quieted).  But many of these production clusters are not easily
restarted; the customer has to be notified, etc.  "It'd be nice" if we
could adjust the volume of logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of statement
logging, etc) without have to restart the server...

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:54:39PM -0700, Ed L. wrote:

> We extract great value from logging every SQL statement, its duration, etc.,
> in service to debugging, troubleshooting, monitoring, etc.  But we have a
> number of clusters that seem to always be bumping into disk I/O
> bottlenecks.  With a system running at 100 QPS, we're inclined to quiet the
> logging and only turn it up as needed (which will, by definition, be while
> it was quieted).  But many of these production clusters are not easily
> restarted; the customer has to be notified, etc.  "It'd be nice" if we
> could adjust the volume of logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of statement
> logging, etc) without have to restart the server...

In any particular session you can do SET log_statement = off or some such.
That way you can make logging more fine grained.
> If the Catholic church can survive the printing press, science fiction
> will certainly weather the advent of bookwarez.
>    http://craphound.com/ebooksneitherenorbooks.txt - Cory Doctorow

Вложения

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

Дата:
Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:54:39PM -0700, Ed L. wrote:
> >
> > We extract great value from logging every SQL statement, its duration, etc.,
> > in service to debugging, troubleshooting, monitoring, etc.  But we have a
> > number of clusters that seem to always be bumping into disk I/O
> > bottlenecks.  With a system running at 100 QPS, we're inclined to quiet the
> > logging and only turn it up as needed (which will, by definition, be while
> > it was quieted).  But many of these production clusters are not easily
> > restarted; the customer has to be notified, etc.  "It'd be nice" if we
> > could adjust the volume of logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of statement
> > logging, etc) without have to restart the server...
>
> In any particular session you can do SET log_statement = off or some such.
> That way you can make logging more fine grained.

You can also change the postgresql.conf file and SIGHUP the postmaster
for it to take affect.  It doesn't restart the server.

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
On Wednesday February 18 2004 7:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> -- Start of PGP signed section.
>
> > On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 03:54:39PM -0700, Ed L. wrote:
> > > We extract great value from logging every SQL statement, its
> > > duration, etc., in service to debugging, troubleshooting, monitoring,
> > > etc.  But we have a number of clusters that seem to always be bumping
> > > into disk I/O bottlenecks.  With a system running at 100 QPS, we're
> > > inclined to quiet the logging and only turn it up as needed (which
> > > will, by definition, be while it was quieted).  But many of these
> > > production clusters are not easily restarted; the customer has to be
> > > notified, etc.  "It'd be nice" if we could adjust the volume of
> > > logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of statement logging, etc)
> > > without have to restart the server...
> >
> > In any particular session you can do SET log_statement = off or some
> > such. That way you can make logging more fine grained.
>
> You can also change the postgresql.conf file and SIGHUP the postmaster
> for it to take affect.  It doesn't restart the server.

Very fast coding, and simply amazing patch distribution.  ;-)

Thx.

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

Дата:
"Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> "It'd be nice" if we
> could adjust the volume of logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of statement
> logging, etc) without have to restart the server...

Why do you think you need to restart the server?  Adjust postgresql.conf
and SIGHUP the postmaster.

            regards, tom lane

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
On Wednesday February 18 2004 9:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> > "It'd be nice" if we
> > could adjust the volume of logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of
> > statement logging, etc) without have to restart the server...
>
> Why do you think you need to restart the server?  Adjust postgresql.conf
> and SIGHUP the postmaster.

Well, on closer look, there it is in plain sight in the runtime config
documentation I've looked through a hundred times for other purposes.  Just
one of many features I haven't discovered, I guess.

The 7.3.4 doc (doc/html/runtime-config.html) does say the log_connections
option can only be set at server start or in the postgresql.conf
configuration file.  That seems a little ambiguous on the SIGHUP'ability of
that option.  My 7.3.4 install here shows all the log_* options are
dynamically reloadable.

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

Дата:
Ed L. wrote:
> On Wednesday February 18 2004 9:33, Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Ed L." <pgsql@bluepolka.net> writes:
> > > "It'd be nice" if we
> > > could adjust the volume of logging dynamically (i.e., turn-off of
> > > statement logging, etc) without have to restart the server...
> >
> > Why do you think you need to restart the server?  Adjust postgresql.conf
> > and SIGHUP the postmaster.
>
> Well, on closer look, there it is in plain sight in the runtime config
> documentation I've looked through a hundred times for other purposes.  Just
> one of many features I haven't discovered, I guess.
>
> The 7.3.4 doc (doc/html/runtime-config.html) does say the log_connections
> option can only be set at server start or in the postgresql.conf
> configuration file.  That seems a little ambiguous on the SIGHUP'ability of
> that option.  My 7.3.4 install here shows all the log_* options are
> dynamically reloadable.

The issue is that you can't set log_connections from psql.  Should we
improve the doc wording?

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

От
"Ed L."
Дата:
On Thursday February 19 2004 9:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > The 7.3.4 doc (doc/html/runtime-config.html) does say the
> > log_connections option can only be set at server start or in the
> > postgresql.conf configuration file.  That seems a little ambiguous on
> > the SIGHUP'ability of that option.  My 7.3.4 install here shows all the
> > log_* options are dynamically reloadable.
>
> The issue is that you can't set log_connections from psql.  Should we
> improve the doc wording?

Ah, I had no idea that was the issue.  Maybe a quick reference
table in the docs would be helpful:

Option             SET option      Reloads on SIGHUP
shared_buffers         no                 no
log_connections        no                 yes
log_statement          yes                yes

Maybe it's already in there somewhere, I dunno.

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

Дата:
> The issue is that you can't set log_connections from psql.  Should we
> improve the doc wording?

I think the only thing missing is that in the introduction to section
16.4, where it says "The configuration file is reread whenever the
postmaster process receives a SIGHUP signal", we should add something
along the line of "Some parameters can only be set at server start;
any changes to their entries in the configuration file will be ignored
until the server is restarted".  While a reasonable person could
probably figure that out ;-) it would not hurt to say it explicitly.

            regards, tom lane

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Ed L. wrote:

> On Thursday February 19 2004 9:13, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > The 7.3.4 doc (doc/html/runtime-config.html) does say the
> > > log_connections option can only be set at server start or in the
> > > postgresql.conf configuration file.  That seems a little ambiguous on
> > > the SIGHUP'ability of that option.  My 7.3.4 install here shows all the
> > > log_* options are dynamically reloadable.
> >
> > The issue is that you can't set log_connections from psql.  Should we
> > improve the doc wording?
>
> Ah, I had no idea that was the issue.  Maybe a quick reference
> table in the docs would be helpful:
>
> Option             SET option      Reloads on SIGHUP
> shared_buffers         no                 no
> log_connections        no                 yes
> log_statement          yes                yes
>
> Maybe it's already in there somewhere, I dunno.

The basic info is there, but not in a table.  That would come in quite
handy...

Re: wishlist: dynamic log volume control

Дата:
Added to docs.