Обсуждение: Migrating 7.1.3 to 7.3.4 problem

Migrating 7.1.3 to 7.3.4 problem

От
JM
Дата:
Hi,

Just recently one of my box went down due to filestsystem corruption.. Luckily
I was able to recover my /var/lib/pgsql directory... now my problem lies on
how to recover this data...

all my boxes runs on rh9 and compiling the source and rebuilding the source
rpm is not helping out either..

is there a way on how to migrate my old data?

TIA

Re: Migrating 7.1.3 to 7.3.4 problem

От
"Markus Wollny"
Дата:
Hi,

I should think there will be no other way but to follow this procedure:

Backup your /var/lib/pgsql directory
Reinstall 7.1.3 (either rpm oder install from source)
Copy your backed up /var/lib/pgsql_bak directory into the new
/var/lib/pgsql directory created during installation
Fire up the postmaster
Dump everything
Shutdown postmaster
Move /var/lib/psql and /opt/pgsql (or whereever your PostgreSQL-binaries
reside) out of the way
Install 7.3.4 (why not 7.4.1?) from source or rpm
Fire up the postmaster
Restore your dumps.

I don't think there's a way to directly import your old 7.1.x
database-directory into a more recent major release PostgreSQL
installation.

Kind regards

    Markus

"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
You may need to whip out a set of RH 7.3 disks to install that OS first,
then pg 7.1.3, then you can dump that data out to 7.3.

If you have a choice, go to 7.4, it imports from 7.1.3 directly, ie.:

on the 7.4.1 machine:

pg_dumpall -h oldboxwith7.1.3|psql template1

will generally work, whereas for 7.1.3 to 7.3, you'll have to dump the
7.1.3 database with the 7.1.3 pg_dumpall, copy it to somewhere the 7.3
box can get to it and psql it into that box.  And it seems like some of
the issues I had migrating to 7.3 went away with 7.4, but I can't remember
what they were right now.  Need more donuts.