Обсуждение: BLOB problem

BLOB problem

От
Rens Admiraal
Дата:
Hi,

I've encountered a problem with a PostgreSQL database. I made a image management system which stores images in a database from a PHP script. I upload te file using pg_lo_import() (PHP function). Everything works fine, fast, and I was really glad with it, till I found out that my database is rapadly growing. With only 20 images the database has a size of 65 MB !!!

Does anybody know where this come from ? I know I don't give a lot of information, if you want more, ask for it. But I don't want to send unreadable posts ;-)

Grtz

Re: BLOB problem

Дата:
Rens Admiraal <postgresnews@etraned.nl> writes:
> upload te file using pg_lo_import() (PHP function). Everything works
> fine, fast, and I was really glad with it, till I found out that my
> database is rapadly growing. With only 20 images the database has a size
> of 65 MB !!!

Hard to tell much from that statement.  I'd suggest looking into the
$PGDATA directory tree to find out which files are taking up the bulk of
the space --- with that info we can give you some advice.

            regards, tom lane

Re: BLOB problem

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Tom Lane wrote:

> Rens Admiraal <postgresnews@etraned.nl> writes:
> > upload te file using pg_lo_import() (PHP function). Everything works
> > fine, fast, and I was really glad with it, till I found out that my
> > database is rapadly growing. With only 20 images the database has a size
> > of 65 MB !!!
>
> Hard to tell much from that statement.  I'd suggest looking into the
> $PGDATA directory tree to find out which files are taking up the bulk of
> the space --- with that info we can give you some advice.

Also note, Rens, that a freshly initdb'd database ain't tiny to start
with.  template0 and template1 take up about 4 megs each, and each fresh,
"empty" database another 4 or so.  This is on my workstation.  Plus, each
transaction log is 16 megs or larger if you've reconfigured for more
checkpoints.

So, if you have two empty databases, plus two transactions logs, that'll
add up to 4*4 meg + 2*16 meg for a total of 3*16 or 48 Meg.  Before
importing any data.

Re: BLOB problem

От
"Cornelia Boenigk"
Дата:
Hello

> I've encountered a problem with a PostgreSQL database

Are you sure that the problem is with PostgreSQL?

I was testing pg_lo_import() with PHP 4.3.x and found it buggy. I had
the opposite problem: only a few bytes from a large object were stored
in the database. Then I downgraded to PHP 4.2 and the same script
works well on the same database.

Regards
Conni

Re: BLOB problem

От
"Nigel J. Andrews"
Дата:
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Cornelia Boenigk wrote:

> Hello
>
> > I've encountered a problem with a PostgreSQL database
>
> Are you sure that the problem is with PostgreSQL?
>
> I was testing pg_lo_import() with PHP 4.3.x and found it buggy. I had
> the opposite problem: only a few bytes from a large object were stored
> in the database. Then I downgraded to PHP 4.2 and the same script
> works well on the same database.

I never had any problems with LOs on a php 4.3.x <--> Postrgresql system I was
working on last year. There must have been something else happening that isn't
attributable to use of LOs.

--
Nigel J. Andrews

Re: BLOB problem

От
"Rod K"
Дата:
I agree with Nigel, and I'll take a guess as to why you experienced this,
Conni.  If Postgres was upgraded after PHP 4.3.x was installed and PHP
wasn't recompiled, PHP was working with an outdated Postgres client.  When
you downgraded, you're recompile used the new client.  You could have gotten
the same result just by recompiling the same version of PHP.