Обсуждение: 7.3.4 freezing

7.3.4 freezing

От
MaRCeLO PeReiRA
Дата:
Hi All,

After PostgreSQL freeze some times, I am moving from
7.3.4 to 7.4.1, trying to solve this problem.

When the daemon get frozen, I can't even use psql to
browse a database (as if the database was down for
some reason, or the daemon is not running).

In these cases, a "pg_ctl -D /var/db stop" followed by
a "pg_ctl -D /var/db start" fix the problem.

I was not saving the logs in a file, so I can't show
you the messages. Now I am saving it.

Do you know some bug on this version (7.3.4)???

I will try 7.4.1 and seek for bugs!

Regards,

Marcelo

Yahoo! GeoCities: a maneira mais fácil de criar seu web site grátis!
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/

Re: 7.3.4 freezing

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, MaRCeLO PeReiRA wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> After PostgreSQL freeze some times, I am moving from
> 7.3.4 to 7.4.1, trying to solve this problem.
>
> When the daemon get frozen, I can't even use psql to
> browse a database (as if the database was down for
> some reason, or the daemon is not running).
>
> In these cases, a "pg_ctl -D /var/db stop" followed by
> a "pg_ctl -D /var/db start" fix the problem.
>
> I was not saving the logs in a file, so I can't show
> you the messages. Now I am saving it.
>
> Do you know some bug on this version (7.3.4)???
>
> I will try 7.4.1 and seek for bugs!

Is the machine becoming unresponsive?  I.e. is it taking several seconds
for things like ls to run?

What does top show for postgresql memory and cpu usage?

Is postgresql really freezing, or just running REALLY slow?  I.e.
sometimes if you wait long enough you can get in to what seems to be a
frozen database

Re: 7.3.4 freezing

От
MaRCeLO PeReiRA
Дата:
Hi,

> Is the machine becoming unresponsive?  I.e. is it
> taking several seconds
> for things like ls to run?

It isn't the case! I can do everything without
problem, and without losing performance. The main
problem is the postmaster daemon, that die. (really
;-)

> What does top show for postgresql memory and cpu
> usage?

The top output is something like this:

top - 16:44:24 up 2 days,  6:15, 10 users,  load
average: 1.24, 1.16, 1.05
Tasks: 123 total,   4 running, 119 sleeping,   0
stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  96.0% user,   4.0% system,   0.0% nice,
0.0% idle
Mem:    256292k total,   243696k used,    12596k free,
   14024k buffers
Swap:   530104k total,    82568k used,   447536k free,
  114312k cached

> Is postgresql really freezing, or just running
> REALLY slow?  I.e.
> sometimes if you wait long enough you can get in to
> what seems to be a
> frozen database

No way! It really die!! :(

Regards,

Marcelo

Yahoo! GeoCities: a maneira mais fácil de criar seu web site grátis!
http://br.geocities.yahoo.com/

Re: 7.3.4 freezing

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, MaRCeLO PeReiRA wrote:

> Hi,
>

> > Is the machine becoming unresponsive?  I.e. is it
> > taking several seconds
> > for things like ls to run?
>
> It isn't the case! I can do everything without
> problem, and without losing performance. The main
> problem is the postmaster daemon, that die. (really
> ;-)
>
> > What does top show for postgresql memory and cpu
> > usage?
>
> The top output is something like this:
>
> top - 16:44:24 up 2 days,  6:15, 10 users,  load
> average: 1.24, 1.16, 1.05
> Tasks: 123 total,   4 running, 119 sleeping,   0
> stopped,   0 zombie
> Cpu(s):  96.0% user,   4.0% system,   0.0% nice,
> 0.0% idle
> Mem:    256292k total,   243696k used,    12596k free,
>    14024k buffers
> Swap:   530104k total,    82568k used,   447536k free,
>   114312k cached
>
> > Is postgresql really freezing, or just running
> > REALLY slow?  I.e.
> > sometimes if you wait long enough you can get in to
> > what seems to be a
> > frozen database
>
> No way! It really die!! :(

Dang.  When you run top, what do the postgres owned processes show?

Re: 7.3.4 freezing

Дата:
=?iso-8859-1?q?MaRCeLO=20PeReiRA?= <gandalf_mp@yahoo.com.br> writes:
> It isn't the case! I can do everything without
> problem, and without losing performance. The main
> problem is the postmaster daemon, that die. (really
> ;-)

That's pretty hard to believe (we've not had a postmaster-crashing bug
in a long time), and it's even harder to believe that the symptoms would
be as you describe if it did.  if the postmaster wasn't there, psql
connection attempts would fail immediately with "connection refused" or