Обсуждение: core dump

core dump

От
"John Liu"
Дата:
I've two questions, they may or may not be related -
1. I copied the entire data directory [including
postgresql.conf, base, ...] from postgreSQL 7.3.2 (AIX4.3)
to the installation postgreSQL 7.3.4 (AIX5.1), the same filesystem
setup. I didn't do an dump/reload process
since the copy process is faster.

Is it OK to take this shortcut in postgreSQL? any side-effects?

2. The copied database with 7.3.4 pgsql and 7.3.2 data dir seems
running OK. But when I run the following query it causes core dump -
psql -d emrxdbs -At -F '|'  -c "select cdi, doctypeid,
getdatatype(doctypeid) from document;"
>out

but the above query works on the older AIX4.3 postgreSQL7.3.2, and
if I run the following query it works on new AIX5.1 -
psql -d emrxdbs -At -F '|'  -c "select cdi, doctypeid,
getdatatype(doctypeid) from document limit 10;" >out

strings core indicates some memory issues,
but the new AIX5.1 has far more memory than the old AIX4.3 -
SELECT relname FROM pg_catalog.pg_listener WHERE substr(relname,1,%d)='%s'
UNION SELECT '*'::name
pgSELECT relname FROM pg_catalog.pg_class WHERE relkind='r' and
substr(relname,1,%d)='%s' and pg_catalog.pg_t
able_is_visible(oid) UNION SELECT 'FULL'::name UNION SELECT 'ANALYZE'::name
format
Tborder
Wexpanded
VERnull
fieldsep
tuples_only
title
ATtableattr
LLpager
EXrecordsep
IBMout of memory
ISELECT c1.relname FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c1, pg_catalog.pg_class c2,
pg_catalog.pg_index i WHERE c1.oid=i.
indrelid and i.indexrelid=c2.oid and c2.relname='%s' and
pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c2.oid)
BINARY
IBM\out
IBM\s
I\write
I%s LIMIT %d;
out of memory
ION_ERROR_STOP
IBIGNOREEOF
IBQUIET
IB\q
IUse "\q" to leave %s.
IECHO
IBMall
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789_
%.*s%s%s
IBM
IBMSINGLELINE
@(#)61
1.14  src/bos/usr/ccs/lib/libc/__threads_init.c, libcthrd, bos510 7/11/00
12:04:14
set client_encoding to '%s'
xrealloc
xmalloc
%s: out of virtual memory

Any thoughts?

thanks.
johnl

Re: core dump

От
Jeff
Дата:
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 11:55:46 -0600
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> wrote:

> I've two questions, they may or may not be related -
> 1. I copied the entire data directory [including
> postgresql.conf, base, ...] from postgreSQL 7.3.2 (AIX4.3)
> to the installation postgreSQL 7.3.4 (AIX5.1), the same filesystem
> setup. I didn't do an dump/reload process
> since the copy process is faster.
>
> Is it OK to take this shortcut in postgreSQL? any side-effects?

If you did this while PG was running you have a big pile of meaningless
data.  The only two ways to do this are to shut down PG and copy or use
an LVM and take a snapshot.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

Re: core dump

От
"John Liu"
Дата:
PG was shutdown on both AIXs,
otherwise it may not be able
to start up after the copy.

thanks.
johnl

Re: core dump

Дата:
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> writes:
> 1. I copied the entire data directory [including
> postgresql.conf, base, ...] from postgreSQL 7.3.2 (AIX4.3)
> to the installation postgreSQL 7.3.4 (AIX5.1), the same filesystem
> setup. I didn't do an dump/reload process
> since the copy process is faster.

> Is it OK to take this shortcut in postgreSQL? any side-effects?

Given that you are now seeing problems on the new installation, it seems
it didn't work too well :-(

I'm not sure why though.  7.3.2->7.3.4 should not have any file-level
incompatibilities, assuming you built both with the same configure
options (might be worth double-checking that).  The OS version jump
might possibly be the culprit --- is it possible they changed the
compiler's struct packing rules between 4.3 and 5.1?  Oh, and I'm
assuming these systems are the same underlying hardware architecture ...

            regards, tom lane

Re: core dump

От
"John Liu"
Дата:
the query worked before on the old installations,
now also core dump in the old installations [I can't think of
any settings' changes, the olnly change is the volume of the data
increased],
which might be indicated the core dump issue
is caused by something else.
Here's the logs whenever this core dump happens -
2003-11-24 14:22:25 LOG:  pq_flush: send() failed: Broken pipe

is it socket related? how and why?

Again, the same query + "limit 20000" works.

thanks.
johnl

Re: core dump

Дата:
"John Liu" <johnl@emrx.com> writes:
> the query worked before on the old installations,
> now also core dump in the old installations [I can't think of
> any settings' changes, the olnly change is the volume of the data
> increased],

Hmm ... are you approaching 2Gb of data in the dump?  If so maybe you
forgot to enable large-file support when building pg_dump.  A short-term
workaround might be to enable compression of the dump, but in the long
run you'd best rebuild.

            regards, tom lane

unsubscribe

От