Обсуждение: Better Unilization of Memory

Better Unilization of Memory

От
Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu
Дата:
In looking at top, I have noticed when doing some
long queries that RAM memory is only being used
at 1-3%.  While, CPU often jumps to 97, 98, even
99% utilization (which is great!).

Is this normal for RAM utilization?

If not, how can I better utilize my RAM during
queries and or general processing?

Thanks for your help!
Lynn Tilby
ltilby@asu.edu

Re: Better Unilization of Memory

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu writes:

> In looking at top, I have noticed when doing some
> long queries that RAM memory is only being used
> at 1-3%.  While, CPU often jumps to 97, 98, even
> 99% utilization (which is great!).
>
> Is this normal for RAM utilization?

It depends on what you have set shared_buffers to in your
postgresql.conf file.  If you have not tuned this value yet you should
do so as the default setting is very conservative.

There is a lot of discussion on appropriate shared_buffers settings if
you search the mailing list archives...

-Doug

Re: Better Unilization of Memory

От
Lynn.Tilby@asu.edu
Дата:
Doug,

Thanks... Looks like I need to do some tuning!
Lynn