Обсуждение: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
After almost 12 months of intense development, and testing, we are proud
to announce the availability of PostgreSQL v7.4.

An overview of the major changes in v7.4 include:

   IN/NOT IN subqueries are now much more efficient
   Improved GROUP BY processing by using hash buckets
   New multikey hash join capability
   Queries using the explicit JOIN syntax are now better optimized
   Faster and more powerful regular expression code
   Function-inlining for simple SQL functions
   Full support for IPv6 connections and IPv6 address data types
   Major improvements in SSL performance and reliability
   Make free space map efficiently reuse empty index pages, and other
   SQL-standard information schema
   Cursors conform more closely to the SQL standard
   Cursors can exist outside transactions
   New client-to-server protocol
   libpq and ECPG applications are now fully thread-safe
   New version of full-text indexing
   New autovacuum tool
   Array handling has been improved and moved into the server core

For a full listing of what has changed between v7.3 and v7.4, please see
the HISTORY file available at:

    http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/HISTORY.html

For a look at the Official Press Release that our Advocacy team *slaved*
over for the many weeks preceeding the release, it is available at:

    http://www.postgresql.org/presskit/en/presskit74.html

For this release, we have two primary methods of downloading, in two
different formats ...

For those using BitTorrent (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/), we have
setup a BitTorrent server at:

    http://bt.postgresql.org

For those using FTP, please see our listing of mirror sites for a location
near you:

    http://www.postgresql.org/mirrors-www.html

And, due to popular demand over the years, we've finally given in and are
offering both .gz and .bz versions, both through FTP and BitTorrent.

Any questions/problems with release, please report them, as always, to
pgsql-bugs@postgresql.org.

Marc G. Fournier
Coordinator
PostgreSQL Global Development Group

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> After almost 12 months of intense development, and testing, we are proud
> to announce the availability of PostgreSQL v7.4.

And when will the coordinator learn that it is called "PostgreSQL 7.4" and
not "PostgreSQL v7.4"?

> For a full listing of what has changed between v7.3 and v7.4, please see
> the HISTORY file available at:
>
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/~momjian/HISTORY.html

Better known as

    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > After almost 12 months of intense development, and testing, we are proud
> > to announce the availability of PostgreSQL v7.4.
>
> And when will the coordinator learn that it is called "PostgreSQL 7.4" and
> not "PostgreSQL v7.4"?

Habit :)

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> > And when will the coordinator learn that it is called "PostgreSQL 7.4" and
> > not "PostgreSQL v7.4"?
>
> Habit :)

I would appreciate it if you could abandon that habit and stop making us
look like losers.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Дата:
Interesting,  I see the difference between "PostgreSQL v7.4 Released" and
"PostgreSQL 7.4 Released".

But I didn't perceive a "loser" until the Postgres team started squabbling
amongst themselves on a public forum about it.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

Reece Hart
Дата:
I would appreciate it if you could abandon that habit and stop making us
look like losers.

Losers? PostgreSQL is way too good for it to be the product of losers. My Oracle-bound comrades have drooled over things like table inheritance and server-side functions in perl and python. I can tell you that they're the ones who've felt like they're losing something.

Hackers, thanks again for 7.4 (and Marc, thanks for v7.4).

-Reece

--
Reece Hart, http://www.in-machina.com/~reece/, GPG:0x25EC91A0

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > > And when will the coordinator learn that it is called "PostgreSQL 7.4" and
> > > not "PostgreSQL v7.4"?
> >
> > Habit :)
>
> I would appreciate it if you could abandon that habit and stop making us
> look like losers.

Odd that you are the only one that *ever* seems to take offence at it ...
*shrug*

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Gianni Mariani
Дата:
terry@ashtonwoodshomes.com wrote:

>Interesting,  I see the difference between "PostgreSQL v7.4 Released" and
>"PostgreSQL 7.4 Released".
>
>But I didn't perceive a "loser" until the Postgres team started squabbling
>amongst themselves on a public forum about it.

No losers here :-)

Great job guys !

.Sig - Speeling impaired welcome here.

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 terry@ashtonwoodshomes.com wrote:

> Interesting,  I see the difference between "PostgreSQL v7.4 Released" and
> "PostgreSQL 7.4 Released".

And, until Peter pointed it out to you, did you notice the difference?

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> Odd that you are the only one that *ever* seems to take offence at it ...
> *shrug*

Here it's just the release announcements that make us look like some kind
of weirdos.  But when you're making tarballs like erserver_v1.2.tar.gz
then you're not only making a fool of yourself, you're creating actual
technical problems.  I take offense at it because for years you've simply
ignored all requests to do something about it.  But I'm certainly not the
only one who considers it odd.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Дата:
Not really, and still don't care either way.

Postgres *is* a superior product, I have used many different DB's, and will
continue to stick by Postgres.  And THAT is what makes Postgres stand out
from the rest: let's get over it.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry@greatgulfhomes.com
> > Interesting,  I see the difference between "PostgreSQL v7.4
> Released" and
> > "PostgreSQL 7.4 Released".
>
> And, until Peter pointed it out to you, did you notice the difference?

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>I would appreciate it if you could abandon that habit and stop making us
>>look like losers.
>>

>Odd that you are the only one that *ever* seems to take offence at it ...
>*shrug*

I don't even understand why we are declaring a difference. Is it not v7.4?

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Here it's just the release announcements that make us look like some kind

>of weirdos.  But when you're making tarballs like erserver_v1.2.tar.gz
>then you're not only making a fool of yourself, you're creating actual
>technical problems.  I take offense at it because for years you've simply
>ignored all requests to do something about it.  But I'm certainly not the
>only one who considers it odd.

Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
we have a v in front of the version number?

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Joshua D. Drake writes:

> Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> we have a v in front of the version number?

Packaging tools, packaging standards, convention, consistency of public
presentation.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

Дата:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Here it's just the release announcements that make us look like some kind
>
> >of weirdos.  But when you're making tarballs like erserver_v1.2.tar.gz
> >then you're not only making a fool of yourself, you're creating actual
> >technical problems.  I take offense at it because for years you've simply
> >ignored all requests to do something about it.  But I'm certainly not the
> >only one who considers it odd.
> >

> Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> we have a v in front of the version number?

I certainly don't mind the v, or I vertainly don't vind the v.  :-)

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Here it's just the release announcements that make us look like some kind
>
> >of weirdos.  But when you're making tarballs like erserver_v1.2.tar.gz
> >then you're not only making a fool of yourself, you're creating actual
> >technical problems.  I take offense at it because for years you've simply
> >ignored all requests to do something about it.  But I'm certainly not the
> >only one who considers it odd.
> >

> Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> we have a v in front of the version number?

*shrug* v == version ... maybe its offending Peter that I'm being
redundant or something?  Stating the obvious by putting the v in front of
the version #?

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Brian Maguire"
Дата:
And all along I thought "v" stood for "victory" we launched 7.4!   Seriously huge effort, great product, cheers!
Anothergreat milestone.

Cheers to the veam, I mean team.

    > Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
    > we have a v in front of the version number?

    Packaging tools, packaging standards, convention, consistency of public
    presentation.

    --
    Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

          joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Joshua D. Drake writes:
>
> > Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> > we have a v in front of the version number?
>
> Packaging tools, packaging standards, convention, consistency of public
> presentation.

Packaging has always been straight:

svr1# ls -l */postgresql-7.?.tar.gz
-rw-rw-r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   9173732 May  9  2000 v7.0/postgresql-7.0.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   8088678 Apr 13  2001 v7.1/postgresql-7.1.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql   9180168 Feb  4  2002 v7.2/postgresql-7.2.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  11059455 Nov 27  2002 v7.3/postgresql-7.3.tar.gz
-rw-r--r--  1 pgsql  pgsql  12311256 Nov 16 17:57 v7.4/postgresql-7.4.tar.gz

Its just in the text/subjects that I put the v ... *shrug*

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 01:55, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> we have a v in front of the version number?

It isn't standard practice.  I agree with Peter on this.

Also, as I have asked before, please make sure that future releases sort
in the correct order.  It makes life much easier for those of us who
make packages and the many users who install packages.

The cycle of releases we have had were:
7.4beta[1-5]
7.4RC[12]
7.4

These sort in reverse (ASCII) order to their real priority.

So the series of Debian packages were numbered:
7.3.99.7.4beta[1-5]
7.3.99.7.4rc[12]
7.4

I hope users who were tracking these understood the relationship between
Marc's numbers and mine.

     "A Song for the sabbath day. It is a good thing to
      give thanks unto the LORD, and to sing praises unto
      thy name, O most High."   Psalms 92:1

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Sean Chittenden
Дата:
> > Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> > we have a v in front of the version number?
>
> It isn't standard practice.  I agree with Peter on this.
>
> Also, as I have asked before, please make sure that future releases sort
> in the correct order.  It makes life much easier for those of us who
> make packages and the many users who install packages.
>
> The cycle of releases we have had were:
> 7.4beta[1-5]
> 7.4RC[12]
> 7.4
>
> These sort in reverse (ASCII) order to their real priority.
>
> So the series of Debian packages were numbered:
> 7.3.99.7.4beta[1-5]
> 7.3.99.7.4rc[12]
> 7.4
>
> I hope users who were tracking these understood the relationship between
> Marc's numbers and mine.

Agreed, I'd like to see the v dropped from everything as well.  It's
not crucial, but I've stumbled over it numerous times.  -sc

--
Sean Chittenden

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Sean Chittenden wrote:

> > > Somebody please explain to me what the hell a difference it makes if
> > > we have a v in front of the version number?
> >
> > It isn't standard practice.  I agree with Peter on this.
> >
> > Also, as I have asked before, please make sure that future releases sort
> > in the correct order.  It makes life much easier for those of us who
> > make packages and the many users who install packages.
> >
> > The cycle of releases we have had were:
> > 7.4beta[1-5]
> > 7.4RC[12]
> > 7.4
> >
> > These sort in reverse (ASCII) order to their real priority.
> >
> > So the series of Debian packages were numbered:
> > 7.3.99.7.4beta[1-5]
> > 7.3.99.7.4rc[12]
> > 7.4
> >
> > I hope users who were tracking these understood the relationship between
> > Marc's numbers and mine.
>
> Agreed, I'd like to see the v dropped from everything as well.  It's
> not crucial, but I've stumbled over it numerous times.  -sc

But there is no v in any of the release files ... just checked to make
sure, and even the 6.x branch didn't have any v in the file names ... the
only place I've ever used the 'v' is in emails ...

----

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
Jan Wieck
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
>> Odd that you are the only one that *ever* seems to take offence at it ...
>> *shrug*
>
> Here it's just the release announcements that make us look like some kind
> of weirdos.  But when you're making tarballs like erserver_v1.2.tar.gz
> then you're not only making a fool of yourself, you're creating actual
> technical problems.  I take offense at it because for years you've simply
> ignored all requests to do something about it.  But I'm certainly not the
> only one who considers it odd.

And you think this kind of infight "about file naming" on the general
mailing list is making us look good? Think again ...

Jan

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

Дата:
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
>> Also, as I have asked before, please make sure that future releases sort
>> in the correct order.  It makes life much easier for those of us who
>> make packages and the many users who install packages.

> But there is no v in any of the release files ... just checked to make
> sure, and even the 6.x branch didn't have any v in the file names ... the
> only place I've ever used the 'v' is in emails ...

Yeah.  I think it matters not in text messages.  Peter has a point about
paying attention to the ASCII sort ordering of version labels that are
used in filenames, CVS tags, etc.

            regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL v7.4 Released

От
"Marc G. Fournier"
Дата:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org> writes:
> >> Also, as I have asked before, please make sure that future releases sort
> >> in the correct order.  It makes life much easier for those of us who
> >> make packages and the many users who install packages.
>
> > But there is no v in any of the release files ... just checked to make
> > sure, and even the 6.x branch didn't have any v in the file names ... the
> > only place I've ever used the 'v' is in emails ...
>
> Yeah.  I think it matters not in text messages.  Peter has a point about
> paying attention to the ASCII sort ordering of version labels that are
> used in filenames, CVS tags, etc.

Yup, and as I mentioned to Peter in a private email ... telling me this
when I announce that I've bundled said files and am asking for
confirmation is more useful then waiting until the end of the cycle and
have released the final product :(

----