Обсуждение: how can I change a btree index into a hash index?

how can I change a btree index into a hash index?

От
Mark Harrison
Дата:
I create a table like so:

create table types (
typeid integer unique not null,
typename varchar(255) unique not null
);

and I get the expected messages:

NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index 'types_typeid_key' for table 'types'
NOTICE:  CREATE TABLE / UNIQUE will create implicit index 'types_typename_key' for table 'types

Since these are all unique things, and will only be tested for
equality, I am guessing that making a hash index will be better
than making a btree index.

1.  Exactly how do I do this?  I'm getting some hints that I should
     drop a constraint rather than drop an index, but I'm still
     not sure exactly what to type.

2.  Is this in general a good idea?  I will benchmark both ways
     but I'm interested in hearing any discussions regarding
     hashed indexing.

Many TIA!
Mark

Re: how can I change a btree index into a hash index?

Дата:
Mark Harrison <mh@pixar.com> writes:
> Since these are all unique things, and will only be tested for
> equality, I am guessing that making a hash index will be better
> than making a btree index.

You are mistaken.  If there were any real value in that, we'd offer
an easier way to do it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: how can I change a btree index into a hash index?

От
Stephen Robert Norris
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-11-13 at 10:01, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mark Harrison <mh@pixar.com> writes:
> > Since these are all unique things, and will only be tested for
> > equality, I am guessing that making a hash index will be better
> > than making a btree index.
>
> You are mistaken.  If there were any real value in that, we'd offer
> an easier way to do it.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Hash indices also have locking restrictions that make them less useful
in most applications.

    Stephen