Обсуждение: Visio Like Tool....

Visio Like Tool....

От
"Thomas LeBlanc"
Дата:
Is there a tool for designing databases(ERD to data Design) and being able
to generate scripts or databases from the tool.

Visio does a good job, but does not have a driver for PostgreSQL. The
scripts have to be modified before executing.

Thanks,
Thomas LeBlanc

Concerned that messages may bounce because your Hotmail account is over
limit? Get Hotmail Extra Storage! http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Re: Visio Like Tool....

От
"P.J. \"Josh\" Rovero"
Дата:
I recommend dia, and there are some tools around
to actual make schema from the diagrams and/or
vice versa.

--
P. J. "Josh" Rovero                                 Sonalysts, Inc.
Email: rovero@sonalysts.com    www.sonalysts.com    215 Parkway North

Re: Visio Like Tool....

От
"Dann Corbit"
> Is there a tool for designing databases(ERD to data Design)
> and being able
> to generate scripts or databases from the tool.
>
> Visio does a good job, but does not have a driver for PostgreSQL. The
> scripts have to be modified before executing.

I like Erwin/Erx.  It has an ODBC option.

RE : Visio Like Tool....

От
"Birahim FALL"
Дата:
Hi,
I use Dezign from Datanamic (www.datanamic.com)
It's cheap, has drivers for tons of databases.
I also appreciated the high quality of support and the fact that you can
customize mamy thing.
There's a limited evaluation version!
Worth trying, believe me!
HTH,
Bir

> Is there a tool for designing databases(ERD to data Design)
> and being able
> to generate scripts or databases from the tool.
>
> Visio does a good job, but does not have a driver for PostgreSQL. The
> scripts have to be modified before executing.

I like Erwin/Erx.  It has an ODBC option.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Visio Like Tool....

От
bob parker
Дата:
On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 03:57, Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
> Is there a tool for designing databases(ERD to data Design) and being able
> to generate scripts or databases from the tool.
>
> Visio does a good job, but does not have a driver for PostgreSQL. The
> scripts have to be modified before executing.
>
> Thanks,
> Thomas LeBlanc
dia and dia2sql. I think I got the latter from Debian non-free.
Use the UML option in dia, and dia2sql will generate your sql for you.

Bob

Re: Visio Like Tool....

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
bob parker wrote:

>On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 03:57, Thomas LeBlanc wrote:
>

>>Is there a tool for designing databases(ERD to data Design) and being able
>>to generate scripts or databases from the tool.

Eclipse has an ERD plugin that works with PostgreSQL

www.eclispe.org

>>Visio does a good job, but does not have a driver for PostgreSQL. The
>>scripts have to be modified before executing.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Thomas LeBlanc
>>

>dia and dia2sql. I think I got the latter from Debian non-free.
>Use the UML option in dia, and dia2sql will generate your sql for you.
>
>Bob

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Visio Like Tool....

От
Rich Shepard
Дата:
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Eclipse has an ERD plugin that works with PostgreSQL
>
> www.eclispe.org

  It's called "Clay" and written by the fine folks at www.azzurri.jp. I just
started using it and I like it very much.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
                         http://www.appl-ecosys.com/

arrays as parameters to pl/pgsql functions

От
"Julie May"
Дата:
Is it possible to use an array as a parameter to a pl/pgsql function. I am
running version 7.3 and don't have the time right now to upgrade.If it is
possible, how do you iterate through the array? For example:

phpVariable[0]=1;
phpVariable[1]=2;
phpVariable[2]=3;

some_pl/pgsql_function(phpVariable?)
how do you access phpVariable[2] within the function?

Thanks.

Julie

Re: arrays as parameters to pl/pgsql functions

От
Ben
Дата:
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003, Julie May wrote:

> Is it possible to use an array as a parameter to a pl/pgsql function. I am
> running version 7.3 and don't have the time right now to upgrade.If it is
> possible, how do you iterate through the array? For example:

CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION foo(integer[]) RETURNS int AS
'DECLARE
    a alias for $1;
    index   integer := 1;
    total   integer := 0;
BEGIN
    WHILE a[index] > 0
    LOOP
        total := total + a[index];
        index := index + 1;
    END LOOP;

    RETURN total;
        END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

test=> select foo('{1,2}');
 foo
-----
   3
(1 row)

Re: arrays as parameters to pl/pgsql functions

От
"Julie May"
Дата:
Thank you Ben, that worked.

> > Is it possible to use an array as a parameter to a pl/pgsql function. I
am
> > running version 7.3 and don't have the time right now to upgrade.If it
is
> > possible, how do you iterate through the array? For example:
>

> CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION foo(integer[]) RETURNS int AS
> 'DECLARE
> a alias for $1;
> index   integer := 1;
> total   integer := 0;
> BEGIN
> WHILE a[index] > 0
> LOOP
> total := total + a[index];
> index := index + 1;
> END LOOP;
>
> RETURN total;
>         END;
> ' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';
>

> test=> select foo('{1,2}');
>  foo
> -----
>    3
> (1 row)

Re: Visio Like Tool....

От
"Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29"
Дата:
> Is there a tool for designing databases(ERD to data Design) and being
> able to generate scripts or databases from the tool.
>
> Visio does a good job, but does not have a driver for PostgreSQL. The
> scripts have to be modified before executing.

        I like Druid, which is open source and written in Java so it will run
on all Operating Systems:

                Druid, The Database Manager
                http://sourceforge.net/projects/druid/

        This one lets you create multiple E/R Views, and in addition to
generating SQL Code for you it will also create Java classes, complete PDF
documentation, and many other things.  It has direct support for PostgreSQL,
and some others.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

This message originated from within a secure, reliable,
high-performance network ... a Novell NetWare network.