Обсуждение: DDL for a single schema

DDL for a single schema

От
Дата:
Is there a way to get a dump of all the DDL and data associated with a
single schema within a database?

What I tried in attempting to hack this out was

\dt consume.*

and

\dv consume.*

to get a list of tables and views in the schema named "consume", then
sent those lists to a file "tables.txt". Followed that with something
like

for n in `cat tables.txt` do; pg_dump -t $n >> consume.sql; done

This almost worked, except for that I have some duplicate table names in
other schemas, and the pg_dump picked up both the table I wanted in the
consume schema and the the similarly-named table in a different schema.
I'd really like to be able to get the complete dump for one schema and no
more. Might work if you could specify a schema-qualified table name in
the -t option of pg_dump, but that apparently is not possible currently.

I tried also using pg_restore to generate a list file, thinking I could
edit the output list file to include only the tables from desired schema.
This would really be a better approach than what I've show above, but
having the duplicate table names was again the problem because nothing in
the list file distinquishes which schema the tables are members of.

~Berend Tober

Re: DDL for a single schema

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Friday 07 November 2003 18:53, btober@seaworthysys.com wrote:
> Is there a way to get a dump of all the DDL and data associated with a
> single schema within a database?
>
> What I tried in attempting to hack this out was
>
> \dt consume.*
>
> and
>
> \dv consume.*
>
> to get a list of tables and views in the schema named "consume", then
> sent those lists to a file "tables.txt". Followed that with something
> like
>
> for n in `cat tables.txt` do; pg_dump -t $n >> consume.sql; done

pg_dump in 7.4 has the dump option. You need to use --schema as option.

 Check developers documentation on web site or download RC1 and try out
yourself.

HTH

 Shridhar

Re: DDL for a single schema

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Friday 07 November 2003 19:36, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 18:53, btober@seaworthysys.com wrote:
> > Is there a way to get a dump of all the DDL and data associated with a
> > single schema within a database?
> >
> > What I tried in attempting to hack this out was
> >
> > \dt consume.*
> >
> > and
> >
> > \dv consume.*
> >
> > to get a list of tables and views in the schema named "consume", then
> > sent those lists to a file "tables.txt". Followed that with something
> > like
> >
> > for n in `cat tables.txt` do; pg_dump -t $n >> consume.sql; done
>
> pg_dump in 7.4 has the dump option. You need to use --schema as option.
>
>  Check developers documentation on web site or download RC1 and try out
> yourself.

http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-pgdump.html

Sorry for missing it first time..

 Shridhar

Re: DDL for a single schema

От
Дата:
> On Friday 07 November 2003 19:36, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>> On Friday 07 November 2003 18:53, btober@seaworthysys.com wrote:
>> > Is there a way to get a dump of all the DDL and data associated
>> with a single schema within a database?
>> pg_dump in 7.4 has the dump option. You need to use --schema as
>> option.
>>
>>  Check developers documentation on web site or download RC1 and try
>> out
>> yourself.
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/app-pgdump.html
>
> Sorry for missing it first time..
>
>  Shridhar

Thanks. Didn't have immediate plans to upgrade from 7.3. But I'll look
for that feature when the time comes.

~Berend Tober

Re: DDL for a single schema

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 07 November 2003 14:28, btober@seaworthysys.com wrote:

> >> with a single schema within a database?
> >> pg_dump in 7.4 has the dump option. You need to use --schema as
> >> option.

> Thanks. Didn't have immediate plans to upgrade from 7.3. But I'll look
> for that feature when the time comes.

I believe 7.4 pg_dump should work against a 7.3 database (and further back
IIRC).
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

Re: DDL for a single schema

Дата:
> I believe 7.4 pg_dump should work against a 7.3 database (and further back
> IIRC).

It will, but I don't think we guarantee that the output will load into a
pre-7.4 database --- pg_dump usually assumes its SQL output can take
advantage of all the features it knows about.

This might work more-or-less-okay for 7.3, but you'd better test before
depending on it.

            regards, tom lane

Re: DDL for a single schema

От
Rod Taylor
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 08:23, btober@seaworthysys.com wrote:
> Is there a way to get a dump of all the DDL and data associated with a
> single schema within a database?

The 7.4 pg_dump is capable of this task (--schema=SCHEMA) but you may
have difficulties restoring to a 7.3 backend.

Вложения