Обсуждение: regular backups - super user

regular backups - super user

От
Jeff MacDonald
Дата:
Hi,

WHen i run pg_dumpall as the super user [postgres in my case] it asks
for a password for every database. I don't know my users passwords. Is
there a way to make the super user able to backup without passwords ?

Thanks.

Jeff.

Re: regular backups - super user

От
DeJuan Jackson
quick answer: research/read the pg_hba.conf in the data directory.

Jeff MacDonald wrote:

>Hi,
>
>WHen i run pg_dumpall as the super user [postgres in my case] it asks
>for a password for every database. I don't know my users passwords. Is
>there a way to make the super user able to backup without passwords ?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jeff.

>TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index scan if your
>      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: regular backups - super user

От
Stuart Johnston
Дата:
DeJuan Jackson wrote:
> quick answer: research/read the pg_hba.conf in the data directory.
>
> Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> WHen i run pg_dumpall as the super user [postgres in my case] it asks
>> for a password for every database. I don't know my users passwords. Is
>> there a way to make the super user able to backup without passwords ?

If your users always connect through TCP/IP then you can set local
connections to not use passwords but I'm pretty sure there is no way to
configure this just for the postgres user (I wish you could).

If you need passworded local connections for users then you'll probably
want to turn on 'ident' mode just long enough to set the password for
the postgres user (or some other 'super user').  Then you may also want
to use the PGPASSWORD environment variable or the .pgpass file to avoid
typing the password repeatedly.

Re: regular backups - super user

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 30/10/2003 15:29 Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> WHen i run pg_dumpall as the super user [postgres in my case] it asks
> for a password for every database. I don't know my users passwords. Is
> there a way to make the super user able to backup without passwords ?

What version of PG are you using? I've just tried this on my 7.3.4 box and
I don't get asked for user passwords.

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: regular backups - super user

От
"Joshua D. Drake"
Дата:
Hello,

  Your pg_hba.conf controls the authentication model for your machine.
One way to handle this is to have
  the database on a local machine and allow anything local (not
localhost/127.0.0.1) to be of type trust.
  You should only do this if you trust the people that have access to
shell accounts on that machine.

  Then set your network connections to be of type md5 (better yet use
hostssl as well).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 30/10/2003 15:29 Jeff MacDonald wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> WHen i run pg_dumpall as the super user [postgres in my case] it asks
>> for a password for every database. I don't know my users passwords. Is
>> there a way to make the super user able to backup without passwords ?
>

> What version of PG are you using? I've just tried this on my 7.3.4 box
> and I don't get asked for user passwords.

--
Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC - S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming, shared hosting and dedicated hosting.

Re: regular backups - super user

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 15:48:31 -0600,
  Stuart Johnston <sjohnston@haisolutions.com> wrote:

> If your users always connect through TCP/IP then you can set local
> connections to not use passwords but I'm pretty sure there is no way to
> configure this just for the postgres user (I wish you could).

In recent versions you can specify user, database pairs in authentication
rules so that you can restrict an authentication rule to just apply
to use "postgres".

Ident authentication on OS's that support the equivalent of getpeerid will
also allow you to do this kind of thing.