Обсуждение: Error size varchar

Error size varchar

От
"Edwin Quijada"

Hi!!
I got error about a length field varchar. I have a table with a field type
varchar(20) but if I try to set to this field more than 20 characters I got
error.
I did a function to control the length of data and put it on trigger but
when it ocurrs I got the error anyway and the trigger not works.
This error is over than trigger execution??

This is the error

ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(30)

*-------------------------------------------------------*
*-Edwin Quijada
*-Developer DataBase
*-JQ Microsistemas
*-809-747-2787
* " Si deseas lograr cosas excepcionales debes de hacer cosas fuera de lo
comun"
*-------------------------------------------------------*

Surf and talk on the phone at the same time with broadband Internet access.
Get high-speed for as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local service
providers in your area).  https://broadband.msn.com

Re: Error size varchar

Дата:
"Edwin Quijada" <listas_quijada@hotmail.com> writes:
> I got error about a length field varchar. I have a table with a field type
> varchar(20) but if I try to set to this field more than 20 characters I got
> error.
> I did a function to control the length of data and put it on trigger but
> when it ocurrs I got the error anyway and the trigger not works.

The length constraint is checked before triggers are fired, I believe.
If you want silent truncation rather than an error, use a text column
(or unconstrained varchar) and put the truncation behavior into your
trigger.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Error size varchar

От
"Edwin Quijada"
Дата:
wHAT IS unconstrained varchar???

*-------------------------------------------------------*
*-Edwin Quijada
*-Developer DataBase
*-JQ Microsistemas
*-809-747-2787
* " Si deseas lograr cosas excepcionales debes de hacer cosas fuera de lo
comun"
*-------------------------------------------------------*

>From: Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
>To: "Edwin Quijada" <listas_quijada@hotmail.com>
>CC: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Error size varchar Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 11:28:23
>-0500
>
>"Edwin Quijada" <listas_quijada@hotmail.com> writes:
> > I got error about a length field varchar. I have a table with a field
>type
> > varchar(20) but if I try to set to this field more than 20 characters I
>got
> > error.
> > I did a function to control the length of data and put it on trigger but
> > when it ocurrs I got the error anyway and the trigger not works.
>
>The length constraint is checked before triggers are fired, I believe.
>If you want silent truncation rather than an error, use a text column
>(or unconstrained varchar) and put the truncation behavior into your
>trigger.
>
>            regards, tom lane

Fretting that your Hotmail account may expire because you forgot to sign in
enough? Get Hotmail Extra Storage today!
http://join.msn.com/?PAGE=features/es

Re: Error size varchar

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Oct 29, 2003 at 05:06:50PM +0000, Edwin Quijada wrote:

> wHAT IS unconstrained varchar???

VARCHAR with no "(n)" or just TEXT, which is the same thing.

La web junta la gente porque no importa que clase de mutante sexual seas,
tienes millones de posibles parejas. Pon "buscar gente que tengan sexo con
ciervos incendiánse", y el computador dirá "especifique el tipo de ciervo"
(Jason Alexander)

Re: Error size varchar

От
Adam Kavan
Дата:
At 05:06 PM 10/29/03 +0000, Edwin Quijada wrote:

>wHAT IS unconstrained varchar???

Define the column as just varchar.  This allows a string of any
length.  Then have a trigger truncate it after it is inserted.

--- Adam Kavan
--- akavan@cox.net