Обсуждение: retrieve statement from catalogs

retrieve statement from catalogs

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
Hi everybody, can anyone tell me if there's a way to retrieve the select
instruction executed from the catalogs, or maybe via some structure in a
trigger?

The reason is that i have some selects constructed on-the-fly (just part of
it) and i want to save that in a table in order to know what are the most
used for optimizing them.

Another reason for doing that is that i don't know all the selects in the
program nor the page and this is an easier solution than examine all the
code.

thanx in advance, el_vigia

Re: retrieve statement from catalogs

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:03:12AM +0000, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> Hi everybody, can anyone tell me if there's a way to retrieve the select
> instruction executed from the catalogs, or maybe via some structure in a
> trigger?

You could turn on query logging and read the Postgres logs.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: retrieve statement from catalogs

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Tuesday 28 October 2003 14:33, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> Hi everybody, can anyone tell me if there's a way to retrieve the select
> instruction executed from the catalogs, or maybe via some structure in a
> trigger?
>
> The reason is that i have some selects constructed on-the-fly (just part of
> it) and i want to save that in a table in order to know what are the most
> used for optimizing them.
>
> Another reason for doing that is that i don't know all the selects in the
> program nor the page and this is an easier solution than examine all the
> code.

Use pg_ctl -l logfile option to start postmaster. It will log the things. And
set log_statement=true in postgresql.conf.

So there will be all the sql statements logged in.

 HTH

 Shridhar

Re: retrieve statement from catalogs

От
"Jaime Casanova"
Дата:
What a solution!!!

I need to insert the querys in a table

Re: retrieve statement from catalogs

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi Jaime,

Jaime Casanova wrote:
> What a solution!!!
>
> I need to insert the querys in a table

Why?
And what about using the logfile for anylysis?
And if you really want a custom log of your
generated queries - why not just insert your
query literals after generation in your table?
Of course, it can be a big resource hog, but
you apparently want it :-)

Regards
Tino Wildenhain

Re: retrieve statement from catalogs