Обсуждение: Seeking insight from heavy lifters

Seeking insight from heavy lifters

От
"John Wells"
Дата:
A manager friend of mine sent me the following concern.  He's preparing to
shift to Postgresql from a proprietary DB and 4gl system:

-----------
To that end, I've also started studying up on Postgresql.  It seems to
have all the necessary features for a transaction heavy DB.  The recent
release is 7.3.  Of course, "the proof will be in the pudding."  We
average 2.5 million transactions per day or 800 per second.
Unfortunately, we would have no way of testing that until we committed to
getting the business logic moved over and had something to test it with.
This is a bit of a "catch 22" situation.  Just wished I knew of someone
locally who was running Postgresql in such a heavy environment.  I'd love
to find out how it performs for them. -----------

While I have a lot of experience with PG, it's not really been in a heavy
processing environment.  Could I get some input to send him from anyone
out in the field using Postgres in a similar environment.

If PG isn't the best option here, what is?

Thanks very much for your input!

John

Re: Seeking insight from heavy lifters

Дата:
What are the transfering from, exactly?

John Wells wrote:
> A manager friend of mine sent me the following concern.  He's preparing to
> shift to Postgresql from a proprietary DB and 4gl system:
>
> -----------
> To that end, I've also started studying up on Postgresql.  It seems to
> have all the necessary features for a transaction heavy DB.  The recent
> release is 7.3.  Of course, "the proof will be in the pudding."  We
> average 2.5 million transactions per day or 800 per second.
> Unfortunately, we would have no way of testing that until we committed to
> getting the business logic moved over and had something to test it with.
> This is a bit of a "catch 22" situation.  Just wished I knew of someone
> locally who was running Postgresql in such a heavy environment.  I'd love
> to find out how it performs for them. -----------
>
> While I have a lot of experience with PG, it's not really been in a heavy
> processing environment.  Could I get some input to send him from anyone
> out in the field using Postgres in a similar environment.
>
> If PG isn't the best option here, what is?
>
> Thanks very much for your input!
>
> John

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Seeking insight from heavy lifters

От
"John Wells"
Дата:
Bruce,

A system called Progress, which is a 4GL/database combo I'm not really
that familiar with.

They're aware that Postgresql doesn't have a 4gl per se, but I think they
view the savings they'll gain by switching to an open solution as well
worth it.

Thanks,

John

Bruce Momjian said:

> What are the transfering from, exactly?

Re: Seeking insight from heavy lifters

Дата:
John Wells wrote:
> Bruce,
>
> A system called Progress, which is a 4GL/database combo I'm not really
> that familiar with.
>
> They're aware that Postgresql doesn't have a 4gl per se, but I think they
> view the savings they'll gain by switching to an open solution as well
> worth it.

OK, that helps.  We have lots of folks moving from Progress.  Just put
that in the subject line and I know you will get replies.  Our database
probably can push more data than Progress, so they shouldn't worry,
though 800tps will need good hardware.