Обсуждение: adding on delete cascade constraint?

adding on delete cascade constraint?

От
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Дата:
Currently I have a table defined as such:

TAL=# \d internal_keywords
Table "public.internal_keywords"
  Column  |  Type   | Modifiers
---------+---------+-----------
  keyword | text    | not null
  pid     | integer | not null
Indexes: internal_keywords_pkey primary key btree (keyword, pid)
Foreign Key constraints: $1 FOREIGN KEY (pid) REFERENCES products(id) ON
UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION

How can I change the ON DELETE action to CASCADE for column pid?

I've check the alter table documentation but cannot find any reference
to this.

Thanks,

Jean-Christian Imbeault

Re: adding on delete cascade constraint?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 11:09, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Currently I have a table defined as such:
>
> TAL=# \d internal_keywords
> Table "public.internal_keywords"
>   Column  |  Type   | Modifiers
> ---------+---------+-----------
>   keyword | text    | not null
>   pid     | integer | not null
> Indexes: internal_keywords_pkey primary key btree (keyword, pid)
> Foreign Key constraints: $1 FOREIGN KEY (pid) REFERENCES products(id) ON
> UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
>
> How can I change the ON DELETE action to CASCADE for column pid?
>
> I've check the alter table documentation but cannot find any reference
> to this.

Drop the constraint; then add an amended one.

     "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that
      there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now
      herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open
      you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a
      blessing, that there shall not be room enough to
      receive it."           Malachi 3:10

Re: adding on delete cascade constraint?

От
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Дата:
Oliver Elphick wrote:

>>Foreign Key constraints: $1 FOREIGN KEY (pid) REFERENCES products(id) ON
>>UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
>
> Drop the constraint; then add an amended one.

Ok, how do I drop the constraint, it has no name.

The documentation is rather poor on how to get the name of unamed
constraints:

"To remove a constraint you need to know its name. If you gave it a name
then that's easy. Otherwise the system assigned a generated name, which
you need to find out. The psql command \d tablename can be helpful here"

Secondly what is the correct syntax for adding a new constraint with ON
DELETE CASCADE?

Thanks,

Jean-Christian Imbeault

Re: adding on delete cascade constraint?

От
Oliver Elphick
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-09-19 at 14:02, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
>
> >>Foreign Key constraints: $1 FOREIGN KEY (pid) REFERENCES products(id) ON
> >>UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
> >
> > Drop the constraint; then add an amended one.
>
> Ok, how do I drop the constraint, it has no name.

From what you quoted above, its name is $1

ALTER TABLE xxx DROP CONSTRAINT "$1"; -- double quotes required since
                                      -- $1 is an identifier

> Secondly what is the correct syntax for adding a new constraint with ON
> DELETE CASCADE?

ALTER TABLE xxx ADD CONSTRAINT "$1" FOREIGN KEY (pid) REFERENCES
products(id) ON UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE CASCADE;

     "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that
      there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now
      herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open
      you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a
      blessing, that there shall not be room enough to
      receive it."           Malachi 3:10

Re: adding on delete cascade constraint?

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 19 September 2003 14:02, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Oliver Elphick wrote:
> >>Foreign Key constraints: $1 FOREIGN KEY (pid) REFERENCES products(id) ON
> >>UPDATE NO ACTION ON DELETE NO ACTION
> >
> > Drop the constraint; then add an amended one.
>
> Ok, how do I drop the constraint, it has no name.

Its name is "$1" - use

DROP CONSTRAINT "$1" ...

> Secondly what is the correct syntax for adding a new constraint with ON
> DELETE CASCADE?

See the SQL command reference for ALTER TABLE. It's something like:

ALTER TABLE mytable ADD CONSTRAINT constraint_name FOREIGN KEY ... etc

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd