Обсуждение: High-volume shop uses PostgreSQL

High-volume shop uses PostgreSQL

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=1482975508&fp=16&fpid=0

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

LUKE: Is Perl better than Python?
YODA: No... no... no. Quicker, easier, more seductive.
LUKE: But how will I know why Python is better than Perl?
YODA: You will know. When your code you try to read six months
from now.

Re: High-volume shop uses PostgreSQL

От
Dennis Gearon

Re: High-volume shop uses PostgreSQL

От
"Andrew L. Gould"
Дата:
On Wednesday 17 September 2003 04:56 pm, Ron Johnson wrote:
> http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php?id=1482975508&fp=16&fpid=0

I do not understand what people mean when they differentiate between scaling
vertically versus scaling horizontally.

Would someone provide a brief explanation?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould

Re: High-volume shop uses PostgreSQL

От
Ben
high: mainframe
wide: web server farm

Ben wrote:

>high: mainframe
>wide: web server farm

phd: piled higher and deeper

    (given to me by a holder of such a degree - no offense intended)

Re: High-volume shop uses PostgreSQL

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
And on this issue, how does Postgres work better on the web server farm
that than other DBMSs?

I thought it actually had achilles heels in that kind of usage?

    i.e.
       One postmaster
       No extents (or whatever thta word is)
       Didn't work well with SAN's