Обсуждение: Serial type currval

Serial type currval

От
Oleg Lebedev
Дата:
I am wondering if it's possible to retrieve the current value of a serial type field without using the name of the corresponding sequence?  I know that currval function takes the sequence name as a parameter, but I would like to use the name of the serial field instead. Is this possible?
Thanks.

Oleg

*************************************

This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential material intended for the named recipient only.
If you are not the named recipient, delete this message and all attachments.
Unauthorized reviewing, copying, printing, disclosing, or otherwise using information in this e-mail is prohibited.
We reserve the right to monitor e-mail sent through our network.

*************************************

Re: Serial type currval

От
Richard Huxton
Дата:
On Friday 12 September 2003 17:09, Oleg Lebedev wrote:
> I am wondering if it's possible to retrieve the current value of a
> serial type field without using the name of the corresponding sequence?
> I know that currval function takes the sequence name as a parameter, but
> I would like to use the name of the serial field instead. Is this
> possible?
> Thanks.

Well as it happens, a table "foo" with a serial field "bar" will have a
sequence called "foo_bar_seq" - so you can figure it out from the field name.
I don't know if this is *guaranteed* to always be that way, but it's been
that way for a while, and I can't see the developers changing it in a hurry.

Be careful if the name gets too long and gets trimmed.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd