Обсуждение: German special characters Problem

German special characters Problem

От
"Amin Schoeib"

Can somebody tell me why german special characters like 'ü' or 'ä' will be changed
To '?' when retrieving data from postgres with Java (JDBC). When I select the data under
Postgres everything is ok. The problem occurs when I select the data with Java.

???

Hope somebody can helps.

Thanxx

Schoeib

4Tek Gesellschaft für angewandte Informationstechnologien mbH
Schoeib Amin
Tel.  +49 (0) 69 697688-132
Fax. +49 (0) 69 697688-111
http://www.4tek.de

Re: German special characters Problem

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
Amin Schoeib wrote:

> Hi,
> Can somebody tell me why german special characters like 'ü' or 'ä'
> will be changed
> To '?' when retrieving data from postgres with Java (JDBC). When I
> select the data under
> Postgres everything is ok. The problem occurs when I select the data
> with Java.
>
> ???
>
> Hope somebody can helps.
>
> Thanxx
>
> Schoeib
>
> 4Tek Gesellschaft für angewandte Informationstechnologien mbH
> Schoeib Amin
> Tel.  +49 (0) 69 697688-132
> Fax. +49 (0) 69 697688-111
> _http://www.4tek.de_

It can be anywhere in the datastream where the encodings don' tmatch.
Usually it's how the database was 'initdb'

Re: German special characters Problem

От
"Amin Schoeib"
Дата:
So what can I do that I don't get wrong characters???

> Can somebody tell me why german special characters like 'ü' or 'ä'
> will be changed
> To '?' when retrieving data from postgres with Java (JDBC). When I
> select the data under
> Postgres everything is ok. The problem occurs when I select the data
> with Java.
>
> ???
>
> Hope somebody can helps.
>
> Thanxx
>
> Schoeib
>
> 4Tek Gesellschaft für angewandte Informationstechnologien mbH Schoeib
> Amin Tel.  +49 (0) 69 697688-132
> Fax. +49 (0) 69 697688-111
> _http://www.4tek.de_

It can be anywhere in the datastream where the encodings don' tmatch.
Usually it's how the database was 'initdb'

Re: German special characters Problem

От
"Amin Schoeib"
Дата:
Is it possible to change the encoding on a existing
Database?

I mda this:

psql -l
       List of databases
   Name    | Owner | Encoding
-----------+-------+-----------
 test      | pgsql | SQL_ASCII
(1 rows)

I think for german and other european languages I must use UNICODE
But how can I change the encoding on the existing database 'test'

So what can I do that I don't get wrong characters???

> Can somebody tell me why german special characters like 'ü' or 'ä'
> will be changed To '?' when retrieving data from postgres with Java
> (JDBC). When I select the data under
> Postgres everything is ok. The problem occurs when I select the data
> with Java.
>
> ???
>
> Hope somebody can helps.
>
> Thanxx
>
> Schoeib
>
> 4Tek Gesellschaft für angewandte Informationstechnologien mbH Schoeib
> Amin Tel.  +49 (0) 69 697688-132
> Fax. +49 (0) 69 697688-111
> _http://www.4tek.de_

It can be anywhere in the datastream where the encodings don' tmatch.
Usually it's how the database was 'initdb'

TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: German special characters Problem

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
Someone else will have to tell you this. Or, you can look up 'initdb' in
the manuals or at:

    http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/ (under databases/postgresql)

I am mostly a user at this point, but I've seen your problem mentioned
and I replied with what I've seen is usually the problem.

Amin Schoeib wrote:

>Is it possible to change the encoding on a existing
>Database?
>
>I mda this:
>
>psql -l
>       List of databases
>   Name    | Owner | Encoding
>-----------+-------+-----------
> test      | pgsql | SQL_ASCII
>(1 rows)
>
>I think for german and other european languages I must use UNICODE
>But how can I change the encoding on the existing database 'test'
>

>-----Urspr?ngliche Nachricht-----

Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Tuesday 09 September 2003 16:10, Dennis Gearon wrote:
> Amin Schoeib wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Can somebody tell me why german special characters like 'ü' or 'ä'
> > will be changed
> > To '?' when retrieving data from postgres with Java (JDBC). When I
> > select the data under
> > Postgres everything is ok. The problem occurs when I select the data
> > with Java.
> >
> > ???
> >
> > Hope somebody can helps.
> >
> > Thanxx
> >
> > Schoeib
> >
> > 4Tek Gesellschaft für angewandte Informationstechnologien mbH
> > Schoeib Amin
> > Tel.  +49 (0) 69 697688-132
> > Fax. +49 (0) 69 697688-111
> > _http://www.4tek.de_