Обсуждение: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Peter Moscatt
Дата:
Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
a database ?

Pete

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Robby Russell
Дата:
Peter Moscatt wrote:

>Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
>a database ?
>
>Pete

Well, when you are the postgres commandline client, you can type
  #  \dt

That will show all the tables in your current database.

--
Robby Russell,  |  Sr. Administrator / Lead Programmer
Command Prompt, Inc.   |  http://www.commandprompt.com

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Jeffrey Melloy
Дата:
On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 07:57  AM, Robby Russell wrote:

> Peter Moscatt wrote:
>
>> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES
>> within
>> a database ?
>>
>> Pete
>>

> Well, when you are the postgres commandline client, you can type
>  #  \dt
>
> That will show all the tables in your current database.

If you would actually like to issue a command, you can start psql with
the -E option.  So it will show you all the queries it uses:
SELECT n.nspname as "Schema",
   c.relname as "Name",
   CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table' WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i'
THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's' THEN 'special' END as
"Type",
   u.usename as "Owner"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
      LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_user u ON u.usesysid = c.relowner
      LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','')
       AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')
       AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
ORDER BY 1,2;

Which of course you can pare down to get just the information you want.

Jeff

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes
Дата:
Hello.  I type \dt as user postgres, but it show only the tables within
public schema.  I need to know all tables (like v$_  or dba_ or user_
in oracle).   How I do that?
Thanks.

Robby Russell wrote:

> Peter Moscatt wrote:
> >Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> >a database ?
>
> Well, when you are the postgres commandline client, you can type
>   #  \dt
>
> That will show all the tables in your current database.

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Jason Godden
Дата:
If you start psql with the -E option you can see the internal commands sent to
the backend.  This can often give you a lot of hints as to the best way to
pull catalog data from a db:

jason=# \dt
********* QUERY **********
SELECT n.nspname as "Schema",
  c.relname as "Name",
  CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table' WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i' THEN
'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's' THEN 'special' END as "Type",
  u.usename as "Owner"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
     LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_user u ON u.usesysid = c.relowner
     LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','')
      AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')
      AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
ORDER BY 1,2;
**************************

So from this to get a list of tables you would execute the following in SQL:

select c.relname FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','') AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')
AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid);

This will give you tables only.  If you wanted schema's and owners then you
would execute a similar variant to that thrown out by psql.

Rgds,

Jason

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:37 pm, Peter Moscatt wrote:
> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?
>
> Pete

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:37:14 +1000,
  Peter Moscatt <pgmoscatt@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?

select datname from pg_database;

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 05:37, Peter Moscatt wrote:
> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/reference.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/reference-client.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/app-psql.html

OR

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.3/static/reference.html
http://www.postgresql.org/search.cgi?ul=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.postgresql.org%2Fdocs%2F7.3%2Fstatic%2F&q=list+all+tables

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Man, I'm pretty. Hoo Hah!"
Johnny Bravo

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
sector119@mail.ru
Дата:
> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?

select datname from pg_database;

--
WBR, sector119

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Paul Thomas
Дата:
On 27/08/2003 11:37 Peter Moscatt wrote:
> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?
>
> Pete

select tablename from pg_tables

HTH

--
Paul Thomas
Business |
| Computer Consultants         |

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
"mathan"
Дата:
> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?

If you want to get database-specific attributes, such as tables, views,
etc... just try \? from the psql monitor, and you will get a list of nice
functions. '\dt' will list all tables, for example.

Thanks
--mathan

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 27 Aug 2003 at 20:37, Peter Moscatt wrote:

> Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> a database ?

\dt from psql

or select relname from pg_class;

Check the column name.  There might be a typo there but pg_class is what you
are looking at.

Bye
 Shridhar

--
There are certain things men must do to remain men.        -- Kirk, "The Ultimate
Computer", stardate 4929.4

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

Дата:
Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes <csepulveda@atichile.com> writes:
> Hello.  I type \dt as user postgres, but it show only the tables within
> public schema.

More accurately, it shows the tables visible in your schema search path.

> I need to know all tables

\dt *.*

            regards, tom lane

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Bruno Wolff III
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 08:09:16 -0500,
  Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 20:37:14 +1000,
>   Peter Moscatt <pgmoscatt@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> > Is there a SQL command I can issue which will list all the TABLES within
> > a database ?
>
> select datname from pg_database;

This was an oops. I misread your question as asking for all databases,
not tables.

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Heath Tanner
Дата:
On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 09:17  AM, Carmen Gloria Sepulveda
Dedes wrote:

> Hello.  I type \dt as user postgres, but it show only the tables within
> public schema.  I need to know all tables (like v$_  or dba_ or user_
> in oracle).   How I do that?

Start psql with the echo flag:

[inligo:~] heath% psql -E dpe
********* QUERY **********
BEGIN; SELECT usesuper FROM pg_catalog.pg_user WHERE usename = 'heath';
COMMIT
**************************

        \h for help with SQL commands
        \? for help on internal slash commands
        \q to quit

dpe=# \dt
********* QUERY **********
SELECT n.nspname as "Schema",
   c.relname as "Name",
   CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table' WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i'
THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's' THEN 'special' END as
"Type",
   u.usename as "Owner"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
      LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_user u ON u.usesysid = c.relowner
      LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','')
       AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')
       AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
ORDER BY 1,2;
**************************

-heath

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 09:17:01AM -0400, Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes wrote:
> Hello.  I type \dt as user postgres, but it show only the tables within
> public schema.  I need to know all tables (like v$_  or dba_ or user_
> in oracle).   How I do that?

You need to change your search_path.  Use

SET search_path TO 'one-schema', 'another', ...

Then repeat your \dt

Or IIRC you can also use
\dt *.*

"La espina, desde que nace, ya pincha" (Proverbio africano)

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 21:03, Heath Tanner wrote:
> On Wednesday, August 27, 2003, at 09:17  AM, Carmen Gloria Sepulveda
> Dedes wrote:
>
> > Hello.  I type \dt as user postgres, but it show only the tables within
> > public schema.  I need to know all tables (like v$_  or dba_ or user_
> > in oracle).   How I do that?
>
> Start psql with the echo flag:
>
> [inligo:~] heath% psql -E dpe
> ********* QUERY **********
> BEGIN; SELECT usesuper FROM pg_catalog.pg_user WHERE usename = 'heath';
> COMMIT
> **************************
>
> Welcome to psql 7.3.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.
>
> Type:  \copyright for distribution terms
>         \h for help with SQL commands
>         \? for help on internal slash commands
>         \g or terminate with semicolon to execute query
>         \q to quit
>
> dpe=# \dt
> ********* QUERY **********
> SELECT n.nspname as "Schema",
>    c.relname as "Name",
>    CASE c.relkind WHEN 'r' THEN 'table' WHEN 'v' THEN 'view' WHEN 'i'
> THEN 'index' WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence' WHEN 's' THEN 'special' END as
> "Type",
>    u.usename as "Owner"
> FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
>       LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_user u ON u.usesysid = c.relowner
>       LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
> WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','')
>        AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')
>        AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
> ORDER BY 1,2;
> **************************

Isn't that big CASE statement unnecessary, since you also have
  c.relkind IN ('r','')

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

484,246 sq mi are needed for 6 billion people to live, 4 persons
per lot, in lots that are 60'x150'.
That is ~ California, Texas and Missouri.
Alternatively, France, Spain and The United Kingdom.

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
Martijn van Oosterhout
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 04:31:16AM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Isn't that big CASE statement unnecessary, since you also have
>   c.relkind IN ('r','')

Not really. In the code almost all the \d commands use that same query but
just change the "relkind in" clause.

So you can see it's redundant on a local level but the code that generates
it doesn't need to know.
> "All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for enough good
> men to do nothing." - Edmond Burke
> "The penalty good people pay for not being interested in politics is to be
> governed by people worse than themselves." - Plato

Вложения

Re: SQL Command - To List Tables ?

От
"Willy-Bas Loos"