Обсуждение: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
"Keow Yeong Huat Joseph"
Дата:
Hi,

I would like to know whether postgresql run on Solaris on Sparc machine? How can I download if available?

Best Regards

_______________________

Joseph

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 22 Aug 2003 at 15:12, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> I would like to know whether postgresql run on Solaris on Sparc machine? How
> can I download if available?

I doubt you will get pre-built binaries. You can download source and compile.
It works fine without any problem. Have it here on a test machine.

but postgresql on solaris is not exactly the best combination from performance
point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Fifth Law of Applied Terror:    If you are given an open-book exam, you will
forget your book.Corollary:    If you are given a take-home exam, you will forget

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes
Дата:
Hi! ...

I have installed postgresql on sparc solaris.  Why you say that it is not the best
combination from performance point of view?  (I don't have tested postgres + linux).

Thanks.

CGS

> but postgresql on solaris is not exactly the best combination from performance
> point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
> linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Friday 22 August 2003 18:43, Carmen Gloria Sepulveda Dedes wrote:
> I have installed postgresql on sparc solaris.  Why you say that it is not
> the best combination from performance point of view?  (I don't have tested
> postgres + linux).

Well, long story short, I had a small bechmark last week inserting rows in
loops in a two column table. On solaris, it gave me 1300 inserts per sec. at
the most. On PC linux, it gave me 9400+ inserts per sec.

Just an example. I am sure plenty of listers will share the same experience..

 Shridhar

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
"Claudio Lapidus"
Дата:
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2003 at 15:12, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> > I would like to know whether postgresql run on Solaris on Sparc machine?
How
> > can I download if available?
>
> I doubt you will get pre-built binaries. You can download source and
compile.
> It works fine without any problem. Have it here on a test machine.

Here we have two E250 w/Solaris 8 running 7.3.2 in production and everything
is OK.

> but postgresql on solaris is not exactly the best combination from
performance
> point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
> linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.

Why do you say performance is no good? I haven't had the occasion to compare
on similar hardware. Did you?

Besides that, I don't usually select Sun/Solaris for raw performance alone,
in most server applications, stability and availability are much more
important and this is where Solaris shines. And if I need something *really*
fast, I always would try to go with Alpha.

regards
cl.

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Friday 22 August 2003 18:45, Claudio Lapidus wrote:
> Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
> > linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.
>
> Why do you say performance is no good? I haven't had the occasion to
> compare on similar hardware. Did you?
>
> Besides that, I don't usually select Sun/Solaris for raw performance alone,
> in most server applications, stability and availability are much more
> important and this is where Solaris shines. And if I need something
> *really* fast, I always would try to go with Alpha.

I specifically said low end machine. I have not seen a sparc machine running a
SCSI disk. i.e my experience with solaris is limited. But I have seen two
machines in a migration project here from solaris+oracle to AIX+DB2. I know
there are too many variables here but AIX+DB2 combo vastly outperforms
solaris+oracle AFAIK. In particular a report took half the time on AIX than
that of oracle for almost same combo, the developer tells me..

 Shridhar

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2003, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> On Friday 22 August 2003 18:45, Claudio Lapidus wrote:
> > Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > > point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
> > > linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.
> >
> > Why do you say performance is no good? I haven't had the occasion to
> > compare on similar hardware. Did you?
> >
> > Besides that, I don't usually select Sun/Solaris for raw performance alone,
> > in most server applications, stability and availability are much more
> > important and this is where Solaris shines. And if I need something
> > *really* fast, I always would try to go with Alpha.
>
> I specifically said low end machine. I have not seen a sparc machine running a
> SCSI disk. i.e my experience with solaris is limited. But I have seen two
> machines in a migration project here from solaris+oracle to AIX+DB2. I know
> there are too many variables here but AIX+DB2 combo vastly outperforms
> solaris+oracle AFAIK. In particular a report took half the time on AIX than
> that of oracle for almost same combo, the developer tells me..

My experiment involved a Sparc 20 (50 MHz CPU, 32 bit) with 256
Megs of RAM running RH 6.2 and Postgresql 7.1 versus an Ultra Sparc 1
(150 MHz CPU, 64 bit) with 512 Meg of RAM with Solaris and also running
postgresql 7.1.

Postgresql was setup identically on the two machines, and neither was
optimized to handle hundreds of connections or anything.

No matter what benchmark we threw at it, bulk loading, pgbench, and
several other tests, the Sparc 20 was 10 to 50% faster than the Ultra 1.
Both machines were using narrow SCSI controllers and disks.

This was a couple of years ago, so I can't speak for how things are today
really.

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
"Keow Yeong Huat Joseph"
Дата:
I encountered error when exec configure the source on SOlaris as shown below:

checking for fseeko... (cached) yes
checking test program... failed
configure: error:
*** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
*** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
*** for the exact reason.

The environment set at my sparc system as:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib

Need your advise.

Thanks & regards
Joseph Keow

On 22 Aug 2003 at 15:12, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> I would like to know whether postgresql run on Solaris on Sparc machine? How
> can I download if available?

I doubt you will get pre-built binaries. You can download source and compile.
It works fine without any problem. Have it here on a test machine.

but postgresql on solaris is not exactly the best combination from performance
point of view. If you are running it on low end sun machine, sparc
linux+postgresql might prove a better combination.

HTH

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Fifth Law of Applied Terror:    If you are given an open-book exam, you will
forget your book.Corollary:    If you are given a take-home exam, you will forget
where you live.

      joining column's datatypes do not match

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:54:29PM +0800, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> I encountered error when exec configure the source on SOlaris as shown below:
>
> checking for fseeko... (cached) yes
> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> *** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> *** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> *** for the exact reason.

You need to follow the advice and check config.log for the exact
reason.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
"Keow Yeong Huat Joseph" <jkeowyh@singtel.com> writes:

> I encountered error when exec configure the source on SOlaris as shown below:
>
> checking for fseeko... (cached) yes
> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> *** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> *** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> *** for the exact reason.
>
> The environment set at my sparc system as:
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
>
> Need your advise.

This looks like a problem with your system.  As the message says, look
in 'config.log' to see what error 'configure' is complaining about.
You might not have the compiler installed, or it's not in your PATH.

-Doug

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
"Keow Yeong Huat Joseph"
Дата:
Hi,

the error msg from config.log shows:
configure: error:
*** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
*** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
*** for the exact reason.

Any idea? Has anyone done it before?

------
Regards
Joseph

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 02:54:29PM +0800, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> I encountered error when exec configure the source on SOlaris as shown below:
>
> checking for fseeko... (cached) yes
> checking test program... failed
> configure: error:
> *** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> *** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> *** for the exact reason.

You need to follow the advice and check config.log for the exact
reason.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Postgresql for Solaris on Sparc

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 03:57:54PM +0800, Keow Yeong Huat Joseph wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the error msg from config.log shows:
> configure: error:
> *** Could not execute a simple test program.  This may be a problem
> *** related to locating shared libraries.  Check the file 'config.log'
> *** for the exact reason.
>
> Any idea? Has anyone done it before?

That can't be the error message.  There must be something else which
shows up when it tries to compile a test program and fails.

Given that this is Solaris, my guess is that (a) you don't have a
compiler installed, (b) your compiler isn't in your $PATH, or (c)
some necessary libraries are not available for your compiler to run.
But without seeing the real error message, I can't help you.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110