Обсуждение: Example Database

Example Database

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
I am rather new to PostgreSQL.What I am looking for ist this:

An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
PostgreSQL developers themselves?

Have been searching for some hours now, but did not succeed. Maybe I am
just being blind.

Thanx for any hints!

Regards, Erwin Brandstetter

Re: Example Database

От
Dustin Sallings
Дата:
On Monday, Aug 18, 2003, at 07:19 US/Pacific, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:

> I am rather new to PostgreSQL.What I am looking for ist this:
>
> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
> but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
> demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
> elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
> getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
> procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
> PostgreSQL developers themselves?
>
> Have been searching for some hours now, but did not succeed. Maybe I
> am just being blind.

    Postgres has enough features that I would guess you're not going to
find a database that uses all of them.

    You'll probably find it a lot easier to learn postgres by thinking of
something you want to do and trying to solve the problem with postgres.
  I find it really difficult to learn a new development tool without
having a particular problem to solve.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <dustin@spy.net>

Re: Example Database

От
Jamie Lawrence
Дата:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Dustin Sallings wrote:

>     Postgres has enough features that I would guess you're not going to
> find a database that uses all of them.
>
>     You'll probably find it a lot easier to learn postgres by thinking
>     of something you want to do and trying to solve the problem with postgres.
>  I find it really difficult to learn a new development tool without
> having a particular problem to solve.

I almost chimed in earlier, but I'd certainly second this.

As far as the freedom Postgres offers in terms of flexibility of design,
there's no way any single DB will illustrate it well.

I started off using it becuase it was a real database in the free space,
and then started using other features when they made sense.

The ORDB stuff I've only used once; I have to admit that I like a fully
relational database. But there are cases I haven't seen...

The views/rules/triggers capability is priceless. Or, rather, Oracle
will put a price on it for you, which is significantly more than
Postgres.

Play with it.

-j

--
Jamie Lawrence                                        jal@jal.org
"The media is reality."

Re: Example Database

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 18 Aug 2003 at 16:19, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
> but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
> demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
> elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
> getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
> procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
> PostgreSQL developers themselves?

You can look at the database generated and tested when you run make check on
source. That should cover things fairly well..

Of course, truly all encompassing database is bit difficult to construct..:-)

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Heller's Law:    The first myth of management is that it exists.Johnson's
Corollary:    Nobody really knows what is going on anywhere within the

Re: Example Database

От
Erwin Brandstetter
Дата:
OK. I understand that you prefer a different approach. For my part, I
like to combine different approaches. I understand also that you
consider it impossible to put all the stuff into one database. I think
it is possible after all, but that is not the point here.

My request remains. I am looking for example databases that demonstrate
good style in using and combining the features of PostgreSQL. I am sure
there is something out there in the net. Would somebody be so kind to
point me there?

Regards, Erwin

Jamie Lawrence wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Aug 2003, Dustin Sallings wrote:
>

>> Postgres has enough features that I would guess you're not going to
>> find a database that uses all of them.
>>
>> You'll probably find it a lot easier to learn postgres by thinking
>> of something you want to do and trying to solve the problem with postgres.
>> I find it really difficult to learn a new development tool without
>> having a particular problem to solve.
>

> I almost chimed in earlier, but I'd certainly second this.
>
> As far as the freedom Postgres offers in terms of flexibility of design,
> there's no way any single DB will illustrate it well.
>
> I started off using it becuase it was a real database in the free space,
> and then started using other features when they made sense.
>
> The ORDB stuff I've only used once; I have to admit that I like a fully
> relational database. But there are cases I haven't seen...
>
> The views/rules/triggers capability is priceless. Or, rather, Oracle
> will put a price on it for you, which is significantly more than
> Postgres.
>
> Play with it.
>
> -j

Re: Example Database

От
"David M. Cook"
Дата:
On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:19:44PM +0200, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:

> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features.

This looks rather interesting:

http://wfb2sql.sourceforge.net/

(CIA World Fact Book to SQL.)

Dave Cook

Re: Example Database

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 01:50, David M. Cook wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:19:44PM +0200, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
>
> > An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> > PostgreSQL features.
>
> This looks rather interesting:
>
> http://wfb2sql.sourceforge.net/
>
> (CIA World Fact Book to SQL.)

But the CIA is Eeeeeeeevil, and PostgreSQL is Pure (it's is Debian
Main after all!).

How could you even *think* of corrupting PG in that manner?????

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Regarding war zones: "There's nothing sacrosanct about a hotel
with a bunch of journalists in it."
Marine Lt. Gen. Bernard E. Trainor (Retired)

Re: Example Database

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Thursday 21 August 2003 12:44, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 01:50, David M. Cook wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 04:19:44PM +0200, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> > > An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> > > PostgreSQL features.
> >
> > This looks rather interesting:
> >
> > http://wfb2sql.sourceforge.net/
> >
> > (CIA World Fact Book to SQL.)
>
> But the CIA is Eeeeeeeevil, and PostgreSQL is Pure (it's is Debian
> Main after all!).
>
> How could you even *think* of corrupting PG in that manner?????

Well, that was nice but in case somebody misses the point of joke, from the
website..

-------------
The CIA World Factbook

wfb2sql has been tested with the Factbook 2003 and 2002. The Factbook is
available for free at http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/. Extract
from the Copyright-Statement: "The Factbook is in the public domain.
Accordingly, it may be copied freely without permission of the Central
Intelligence Agency (CIA).". The complete .zip-archive has as size of approx.
85 MB. Since wfb2sql doesn't need the included PDF-maps, you may also decide
to download the smaller version without the PDF-maps. This download is about
15 MB.
-------------

Shridhar

Re: Example Database

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 02:21, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2003 12:44, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > >
> > > This looks rather interesting:
> > >
> > > http://wfb2sql.sourceforge.net/
> > >
> > > (CIA World Fact Book to SQL.)
> >
> > But the CIA is Eeeeeeeevil, and PostgreSQL is Pure (it's is Debian
> > Main after all!).
> >
> > How could you even *think* of corrupting PG in that manner?????
>
> Well, that was nice but in case somebody misses the point of joke, from the
> website..

Well, actually, no, I was talking directly about the CIA itself.

Am I dating myself by presuming that most people think of the CIA
a a bunch of ultra-right-wing incompetent spooks that go around
toppling "freely" elected governments?

> -------------
> The CIA World Factbook
>

> wfb2sql has been tested with the Factbook 2003 and 2002. The Factbook is
> available for free at http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/. Extract
> from the Copyright-Statement: "The Factbook is in the public domain.
> Accordingly, it may be copied freely without permission of the Central
> Intelligence Agency (CIA).". The complete .zip-archive has as size of approx.
> 85 MB. Since wfb2sql doesn't need the included PDF-maps, you may also decide
> to download the smaller version without the PDF-maps. This download is about
> 15 MB.

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"they love our milk and honey, but preach about another way of living"
Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"

Re: Example Database

От
Shridhar Daithankar
Дата:
On Thursday 21 August 2003 13:37, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-08-21 at 02:21, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> > Well, that was nice but in case somebody misses the point of joke, from
> > the website..
>
> Well, actually, no, I was talking directly about the CIA itself.
>
> Am I dating myself by presuming that most people think of the CIA
> a a bunch of ultra-right-wing incompetent spooks that go around
> toppling "freely" elected governments?

Well, even if that remains a topic of discussion, it is going to get
irrelevant here pretty soon. I suggest we stop.

 Shridhar

Re: Example Database

От
"Michael D. Allen"
Дата:
> On 18 Aug 2003 at 16:19, Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> An example database that demonstrates the usage of all the core
> PostgreSQL features. It is one thing to read extensive documentation,
> but it is much more intuitive for me to see an example database, that
> demonstrates the whole thing interacting. I mean, not just the basic
> elements, but an optimized (and maybe nicely documented) database
> getting the best out of views, triggers, indices, rules, stored
> procedures and so on - maybe even a reference database from the
> PostgreSQL developers themselves?

Yes, this would be very nice indeed.  Oracle is an extremely complex
(overgrown)database with a ton of features, but it ships with a set of
example schemas that show off a variety of features pretty well.  I'm
speaking of the set of schemas that try to model a company: OE, HR, etc.
SQL Server ships with Northwind and pubs, as another example.  But, we would
need a good supplementary document that goes along with whatever
materialized, perhaps guiding new users along in a tutorial manner.

--
Michael D. Allen
mallen@erhs.la

Re: Example Database

От
"Gregory S. Williamson"
Дата:
Informix has its "stores" demo database (more as a training exercise that a real demo); some of the extensions include
extensionsto the stores db.

Not sure there aren't two things:
a) a place to show off features to prospective users. Ideally it tells how it works as well.
b) a playground/demo area for those who have installed one.

I think this thread relates to (a); the SQL demo and informix' demo are both more in category (a).

Greg Williamson
DBA GlobeXplorer LLC