Обсуждение: optimum postgres server configuration

optimum postgres server configuration

От
tom dyson
Дата:
We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll be
serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of hardware
and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
particular, should we prioritise

* Disk speed
* Hardware RAID
* Memory
* Processor speed
* Processor type
* Multiple processors

And does the list have any observations regarding Postgres performance on
different platforms? Our webservers run Linux (RedHat 8), but we're willing
to experiment with alternatives.

Many thanks

Tom

-----------------+
tom dyson
t: +44 (0)1608 811870
m: +44 (0)7958 752657
http://torchbox.com

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

От
nolan@celery.tssi.com
Дата:
> We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll be
> serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
> applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of hardware
> and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
> particular, should we prioritise
>
> * Disk speed
> * Hardware RAID
> * Memory
> * Processor speed
> * Processor type
> * Multiple processors

Even with RAID you need to think about an external backup method and
budget for the hardware accordingly.  20GB x 10 databases is getting
up there for tape backup both in terms of capacity and in the time it
would take to do the backup.
--
Mike Nolan

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

От
"scott.marlowe"
Дата:
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, tom dyson wrote:

> We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll be
> serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
> applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of hardware
> and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
> particular, should we prioritise
>
> * Disk speed
> * Hardware RAID
> * Memory
> * Processor speed
> * Processor type
> * Multiple processors

This really kinda depends.

Will these databases see much writing?  Or will they be mostly read?

Generally, the more writing, the faster you want your disk subsystem to
be, and the more reading, the more memory / CPU horsepower you want.
Especially if you'll be munging tables against each other a lot.

I like having dual CPUs, as they aren't very expensive compared to single
ones, and provide a very noticeable performance gain for me.  I'd rather
have dual 1400MHz CPUs than one 2800MHz CPU.

You can't have too much memory.

Hardware RAID is overrated.  It's good, but software RAID on fast machines
is every bit a match for hardware RAID in performance, the only issue
being support for hot swapping and what not some hardware RAID cards have.

On Linux sw RAID however, stacking RAID levels doesn't provide as much
gain as it does with a hardware controller, so if you're looking at RAID
1+0, hardware is probably a better choice.

64 bit CPUs are nice if you're gonna use tons o ram to cache your
databases.

> And does the list have any observations regarding Postgres performance on
> different platforms? Our webservers run Linux (RedHat 8), but we're willing
> to experiment with alternatives.

BSD is generally considered the best performer, with Linux a close second.
Solaris is not so fast, but it does scale out to dozens and dozens of
CPUs, and Sparc boxes tend to have pretty fast I/O (the real ones, not the
IDE based workstations.)  Note that many folks consider BSD or Linux on
Sparc to be a nice solution for speed and expandability.

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:

td> and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
td> particular, should we prioritise

td> * Disk speed
td> * Hardware RAID
td> * Memory
td> * Processor speed
td> * Processor type
td> * Multiple processors

Like others have said, splurge on the disk speed.  Personally I use
hardware RAID 10, but I'm not on a tight budget.  Any modern system
will have enough CPU power.  Next thing to maximize is RAM.

Another thing to consider is leasing the equipment.  Instead of
putting up the $2k cash now, spread out the money outlay over three
years.  You can buy a much bigger machine with lower cash flow impact.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

Дата:
Vivek Khera wrote:

> td> and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
> td> particular, should we prioritise
>
> td> * Disk speed
> td> * Hardware RAID
> td> * Memory
> td> * Processor speed
> td> * Processor type
> td> * Multiple processors
>
> Like others have said, splurge on the disk speed.  Personally I use
> hardware RAID 10, but I'm not on a tight budget.  Any modern system
> will have enough CPU power.  Next thing to maximize is RAM.

Alot of RAID system have sophisticated battery-backed cache, that helps
PostgreSQL a lot.  The RAID controller centralizes all that cache,
rather than trying to get individual disk drives with that capability.

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

От
William Yu
Дата:
| We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll
| be serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
| applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of
| hardware and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US
| 2000)? In particular, should we prioritise

Unfortunately, hardware sizing for databases is very much
trial-and-error. How many users, type of queries, percentage of updates,
transactions per period -- throw that all together you and you still
have a wild-ass guess.

But since you have a budget of $2000, that limits your choices so
there's no point in going over stuff you can't get. Let's start with the
following:

- Case/Floppy/CD-ROM/PS: $200
- Athlon 760MPX: $200
- 2x Athlon MP2400+: $300
- 3GB RAM: $500

That leaves you $800 for storage. You definitely need to go SCSI without
question. The question is whether to get a card with more channels or
more disks on less channels. My personal experience is that the
bandwidth of the HBAs are outpacing the hard drives.

- Adaptec 29320-R (single channel U320 w/ RAID0,1) $200
- 4x 10K RPM 73GB HD $600

If you want hotswap, you can get 4/5-drive hotswap cages in the ~$200 range.

Almost hits your pricing target perfectly.

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

От
"Cory 'G' Watson"
Дата:
On Thursday, July 24, 2003, at 10:44  AM, scott.marlowe wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, tom dyson wrote:
>
>> We're about to buy a new server for dedicated Postgres serving. It'll
>> be
>> serving 4 - 10 databases (average dump size 20Gb) for various web
>> applications. What is the list's advice on optimum configuration of
>> hardware
>> and software, given a smallish fixed budget (around $US 2000)? In
>> particular, should we prioritise

<snip>

In the short time I've lurked (and de-lurked, and re-lurked) on this
list, I've seen this question (and the same answers) probably a hundred
times.

Is there any document we can point this people to?  If not, I'm
volunteering to write some documentation (I've already started
actually, I'm in the preface ATM, in docbook) that can be used as guide
for:

1) determining how your data will use postgres (heavy read, heavy
write, etc)
2) getting hardware (disks, cpu, memory) and low-level software (OS)
3) configuring Pg (simple definitions of the params, example configs
for common setups, etc)

Much of this is in the 'big' docs @pg.org, but I believe we could
benefit from a more targeted document.

If this is needed, is there some(where|one) that I should put my work?
I'm not a guru at this, but my db runs well, and it would be a nice
learning experience.  I'll obviously post work periodically to the
general list for review/clarification and accept changes.

Cory 'G' Watson
http://www.loggerithim.org

Re: optimum postgres server configuration

От
"Joshua D. Drake"

> * Disk speed

4 drives... 7200 RPM... as big as you can get. Get 8 Meg cache drives so
you have a 3 year warranty.

> * Hardware RAID

3Ware IDE controller (or SATA) running RAID 10

> * Memory

2 gig

> * Processor speed

1800+

> * Processor type

Athlon MP

> * Multiple processors

2

We are able to run a 60 person insurance company entirely off of the box
I described above with ZERO load problems.