Обсуждение: realtime data inserts

realtime data inserts

От
"Adam Siegel"
Дата:
I have realtime data flowing at a rate of 500, 512 byte packets per second.
I want to log the info in a database table with two other columns, one for a
timestamp and one for a name of the packet.  The max rate I can achieve is
350 inserts per second on a sun blade 2000.  The inserts are grouped in a
transaction and I commit every 1200 records.  I am storing the binary data
in a bytea.  I am using the libpq conversion function.  Not sure if that is
slowing me down.  But I think it is the insert not the conversion.

Any thoughts on how to achive this goal?

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Ericson Smith
Дата:
Had the same problem recently...

Format your data like a pg text dump into a file and then...

COPY <tablename> (a,b,c) FROM stdin;
1   2   3
4   5   6
\.

psql <yourdatabase < dumpfile.sql

I've achieved thousands of rows per seconds with this method.

- Ericson Smith
eric@did-it.com
http://www.did-it.com

Adam Siegel wrote:

>I have realtime data flowing at a rate of 500, 512 byte packets per second.
>I want to log the info in a database table with two other columns, one for a
>timestamp and one for a name of the packet.  The max rate I can achieve is
>350 inserts per second on a sun blade 2000.  The inserts are grouped in a
>transaction and I commit every 1200 records.  I am storing the binary data
>in a bytea.  I am using the libpq conversion function.  Not sure if that is
>slowing me down.  But I think it is the insert not the conversion.
>
>Any thoughts on how to achive this goal?

>TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: realtime data inserts

Дата:
"Adam Siegel" <adam@sycamorehq.com> writes:
> I have realtime data flowing at a rate of 500, 512 byte packets per second.
> I want to log the info in a database table with two other columns, one for a
> timestamp and one for a name of the packet.  The max rate I can achieve is
> 350 inserts per second on a sun blade 2000.  The inserts are grouped in a
> transaction and I commit every 1200 records.

Have you thought about using COPY?

            regards, tom lane

Re: realtime data inserts

От
"Jim C. Nasby"
Дата:
Are you binding your insert? IE:

prepare statement INSERT INTO blah VALUES (?, ?, ?);

execute statement (a, b, c)

Instead of just "INSERT INTO blah VALUES(a, b, c)"

--
Jim C. Nasby (aka Decibel!)                    jim@nasby.net

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 11:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Adam Siegel" <adam@sycamorehq.com> writes:
> > I have realtime data flowing at a rate of 500, 512 byte packets per second.
> > I want to log the info in a database table with two other columns, one for a
> > timestamp and one for a name of the packet.  The max rate I can achieve is
> > 350 inserts per second on a sun blade 2000.  The inserts are grouped in a
> > transaction and I commit every 1200 records.
>
> Have you thought about using COPY?

Generate a temporary file, and then system("COPY /tmp/foobar ...") ?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |

Re: realtime data inserts

Дата:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 11:00, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Have you thought about using COPY?

> Generate a temporary file, and then system("COPY /tmp/foobar ...") ?

No, copy from stdin.  No need for a temp file.

            regards, tom lane

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 21:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> > On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 11:00, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Have you thought about using COPY?
>
> > Generate a temporary file, and then system("COPY /tmp/foobar ...") ?
>
> No, copy from stdin.  No need for a temp file.

But wouldn't that only work if the input stream is acceptable to
COPY ?

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| The purpose of the military isn't to pay your college tuition |
| or give you a little extra income; it's to "kill people and   |
| break things".  Surprisingly, not everyone understands that.  |

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2003-05-10 at 21:46, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:
> >
> > > Generate a temporary file, and then system("COPY /tmp/foobar ...") ?
> >
> > No, copy from stdin.  No need for a temp file.
>
> But wouldn't that only work if the input stream is acceptable to
> COPY ?

Yes, but you could always pipe it through a script or C program to
make it so...

-Doug

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Steve Crawford
Дата:
Depends - we don't know enough about your needs. Some questions:

Is this constant data or just capturing a burst?

Are you feeding it through one connection or several in parallel?

Did you tune your memory configs in postgresql.conf or are they still at the
minimalized defaults?

How soon does the data need to be available for query? (Obviously there will
be up to a 1200 record delay just due to the transaction.)

What generates the timestamp? Ie. is it an insert into foo values (now(),
packetname, data) or is the app providing the timestamp?

More info about the app will help.

Cheers,
Steve

On Saturday 10 May 2003 8:25 am, Adam Siegel wrote:
> I have realtime data flowing at a rate of 500, 512 byte packets per second.
> I want to log the info in a database table with two other columns, one for
> a timestamp and one for a name of the packet.  The max rate I can achieve
> is 350 inserts per second on a sun blade 2000.  The inserts are grouped in
> a transaction and I commit every 1200 records.  I am storing the binary
> data in a bytea.  I am using the libpq conversion function.  Not sure if
> that is slowing me down.  But I think it is the insert not the conversion.
>
> Any thoughts on how to achive this goal?

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Adam Siegel
Дата:
The copy from method (PQputline) allows me to achieve around 1000 inserts
per second.

On Sat, 10 May 2003, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> Are you binding your insert? IE:
>
> prepare statement INSERT INTO blah VALUES (?, ?, ?);
>
> execute statement (a, b, c)
>
> Instead of just "INSERT INTO blah VALUES(a, b, c)"
>

> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 11:25:16AM -0400, Adam Siegel wrote:
> > I have realtime data flowing at a rate of 500, 512 byte packets per second.
> > I want to log the info in a database table with two other columns, one for a
> > timestamp and one for a name of the packet.  The max rate I can achieve is
> > 350 inserts per second on a sun blade 2000.  The inserts are grouped in a
> > transaction and I commit every 1200 records.  I am storing the binary data
> > in a bytea.  I am using the libpq conversion function.  Not sure if that is
> > slowing me down.  But I think it is the insert not the conversion.
> >
> > Any thoughts on how to achive this goal?

Re: realtime data inserts

От
"alex b."
Дата:
Doug McNaught wrote:
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

>>>No, copy from stdin.  No need for a temp file.
>>
>>But wouldn't that only work if the input stream is acceptable to
>>COPY ?
>

> Yes, but you could always pipe it through a script or C program to
> make it so...

lets say I have an about 1kb/s continuus datastream comming in for many
hours and I'd like to store this data in my db using COPY table FROM stdin.

At what time should I COMMIT or close the stream to feed the database
and COPY FROM again?

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Ericson Smith
Дата:
You probably want to have a process that constantly stores the data in a
text file. Every "n" minutes, you will cause the logger to rotate the
text file, then process that batch.

Over here, we are able to dump around 5,000 records per second in one of
our tables using that methodology.

- Ericson Smith
eric@did-it.com

On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 16:27, alex b. wrote:
> Doug McNaught wrote:
> > Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> >>But wouldn't that only work if the input stream is acceptable to
> >>COPY ?
> >

> > Yes, but you could always pipe it through a script or C program to
> > make it so...
>
> lets say I have an about 1kb/s continuus datastream comming in for many
> hours and I'd like to store this data in my db using COPY table FROM stdin.
>
> At what time should I COMMIT or close the stream to feed the database
> and COPY FROM again?

Ericson Smith <eric@did-it.com>

Re: realtime data inserts

От
Ron Johnson
Дата:
On Fri, 2003-05-16 at 15:33, Ericson Smith wrote:
> You probably want to have a process that constantly stores the data in a
> text file. Every "n" minutes, you will cause the logger to rotate the
> text file, then process that batch.

Does the logger spawn the DB writer?