Обсуждение: semget: No space left on device

semget: No space left on device

От
Keary Suska
Дата:
I need to increase the max connections for my postgres installation but when
I do I get the dreaded "semget: No space left on device" error. Where can I
find information on the relationship between max connections and buffers and
shared memory/semaphores? I thought Bruce Momjian's performance tuning white
paper dealt with this, but the link to it is broken on the postgres.com web
site so I can't check it out.

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Re: semget: No space left on device

От
Keary Suska
Дата:
on 5/9/03 3:09 PM, andrew@libertyrms.info purportedly said:

> On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:36:23PM -0600, Keary Suska wrote:
>> I do I get the dreaded "semget: No space left on device" error. Where can I
>> find information on the relationship between max connections and buffers and
>> shared memory/semaphores? I thought Bruce Momjian's performance tuning white
>
> I'd have a look in the manual itself:
>
> <http://www.us.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/7.3/postgres/runtime.html>

Thanks for the link. According to the info, I shouldn't have any problems. I
am shooting for 96 connections, using 192 buffers. My SHMMAX is 32mb, and
the calculations show that I need 2mb minimal for this, so even with
significant overhead I am fine.

Other values:
#define SEMMNI  128             /* ?  max # of semaphore identifiers */
#define SEMMSL  250              /* <= 512 max num of semaphores per id */
#define SEMMNS  (SEMMNI*SEMMSL) /* ? max # of semaphores in system */
#define SEMOPM  32              /* ~ 100 max num of ops per semop call */
#define SEMVMX  32767           /* semaphore maximum value */

/* unused */
#define SEMUME  SEMOPM          /* max num of undo entries per process */
#define SEMMNU  SEMMNS          /* num of undo structures system wide */
#define SEMAEM  (SEMVMX >> 1)   /* adjust on exit max value */
#define SEMMAP  SEMMNS          /* # of entries in semaphore map */
#define SEMUSZ  20              /* sizeof struct sem_undo */

Don't see any problem here.

# ipcs -l

------ Shared Memory Limits --------
max number of segments = 128
max seg size (kbytes) = 32768
max total shared memory (kbytes) = 16777216
min seg size (bytes) = 1

------ Semaphore Limits --------
max number of arrays = 128
max semaphores per array = 250
max semaphores system wide = 32000
max ops per semop call = 32
semaphore max value = 32767

------ Messages: Limits --------
max queues system wide = 128
max size of message (bytes) = 4056
default max size of queue (bytes) = 16384

(just for grins)

Maybe some other app is hogging:

# ipcs -u

------ Shared Memory Status --------
segments allocated 2
pages allocated 314
pages resident  165
pages swapped   0
Swap performance: 1446 attempts  72 successes

------ Semaphore Status --------
used arrays = 127
allocated semaphores = 159

------ Messages: Status --------
allocated queues = 0
used headers = 0
used space = 0 bytes

Doesn't seem like it.

Any ideas?

PG 7.1.3 on RH 6.2 Kernel 2.2.14

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.

Re: semget: No space left on device

Дата:
Keary Suska <hierophant@pcisys.net> writes:
> I need to increase the max connections for my postgres installation but when
> I do I get the dreaded "semget: No space left on device" error. Where can I
> find information on the relationship between max connections and buffers and
> shared memory/semaphores?

You evidently need to raise SEMMNI: your setup is eating 127 of the 128
you have allowed.

It does seem odd that you have

------ Semaphore Status --------
used arrays = 127
allocated semaphores = 159

Postgres will normally allocate 17 semaphores per semaphore ID (a/k/a
semaphore array).  It looks to me like some not-Postgres application has
chewed up 125 semaphore IDs to represent only one actual semaphore apiece.
Postgres took two more for 17 apiece, then choked trying to get a third.

What else are you running ... and have you complained to them about
their profligacy with semaphore IDs?

            regards, tom lane

Re: semget: No space left on device

От
Keary Suska
Дата:
on 5/9/03 9:25 PM, tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us purportedly said:

> You evidently need to raise SEMMNI: your setup is eating 127 of the 128
> you have allowed.
>
> It does seem odd that you have
>
> ------ Semaphore Status --------
> used arrays = 127
> allocated semaphores = 159
>
> Postgres will normally allocate 17 semaphores per semaphore ID (a/k/a
> semaphore array).  It looks to me like some not-Postgres application has
> chewed up 125 semaphore IDs to represent only one actual semaphore apiece.
> Postgres took two more for 17 apiece, then choked trying to get a third.
>
> What else are you running ... and have you complained to them about
> their profligacy with semaphore IDs?

D'oh! I missed that. It's Apache--naughty, naughty. May have a problem
cleaning up after itself, as it certainly doesn't need 125 arrays with only
one semaphore each!

I'll have to get them on that one...

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.