Обсуждение: LC_COLLATE and index usage

LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
"Forest Wilkinson"
Дата:
According to the postgres 7.3.2 docs, initializing a database cluster
with LC_COLLATE set to anything other than "C" will disable the use of
indexes during LIKE searches.  This presents a bit of a problem for
me, since the client application I'm writing uses LIKE searches and
ships internationally.  As I understand it, I can have good
performance, or locale-specific ORDER BY output, but not both.  Is
there a plan to remove this limitation?

How to determine a database cluster's LC_COLLATE setting?

От
"Forest Wilkinson"
Дата:
How can I determine what LC_COLLATE setting was used initialize a
postgres installation?  At the moment, I'm trying to figure out what
collation locale was chosen by the RPM install of postgres 7.3.2, but
it would also be useful to know how to check this with any random
installation.

Re: LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
> According to the postgres 7.3.2 docs, initializing a database cluster
> with LC_COLLATE set to anything other than "C" will disable the use of
> indexes during LIKE searches.  This presents a bit of a problem for
> me, since the client application I'm writing uses LIKE searches and
> ships internationally.  As I understand it, I can have good
> performance, or locale-specific ORDER BY output, but not both.  Is
> there a plan to remove this limitation?
Question seconded (and tacit suggestion for a TODO item) on
behalf of GnuMed (www.gnumed.org).

Karsten Hilbert, MD
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
Dennis Gearon
Дата:
Personally,
    I'd like to see LOCALE done away with, everything be in UTF-8, and have
a POSGRES extension that sets the sort order as an itemized listing of
mime type languages like:

    SET COLLATION( en-us, fr, ru ).

Everything NOT in those character sets, falls below them in the sort
order, but stays in it's tabular order, otherwise.

PS. We are sure lucky in the western world that we have such a
simplistic alphabet.

Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> > According to the postgres 7.3.2 docs, initializing a database cluster
> > with LC_COLLATE set to anything other than "C" will disable the use of
> > indexes during LIKE searches.  This presents a bit of a problem for
> > me, since the client application I'm writing uses LIKE searches and
> > ships internationally.  As I understand it, I can have good
> > performance, or locale-specific ORDER BY output, but not both.  Is
> > there a plan to remove this limitation?
> Question seconded (and tacit suggestion for a TODO item) on
> behalf of GnuMed (www.gnumed.org).
>
> Karsten Hilbert, MD
> --
> GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
> E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
Ralph Graulich
Дата:
Hi Karsten,

> Question seconded (and tacit suggestion for a TODO item) on
> behalf of GnuMed (www.gnumed.org).

Depending on how your LIKE searches look like, you can use a little work
around, which improves speed dramatically. In case you need to search like
"<String>%", you can use a second table containing each possible
combination of the search string, a fixed length field and JOIN that
helper table.

So you can change your LIKE search to a search for a string of fixed
length.

Kind regards
... Ralph ...

Re: LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
Karsten Hilbert
Дата:
>     I'd like to see LOCALE done away with, everything be in UTF-8, and have
> a POSGRES extension that sets the sort order as an itemized listing of
> mime type languages like:
>
>     SET COLLATION( en-us, fr, ru ).
>
> Everything NOT in those character sets, falls below them in the sort
> order, but stays in it's tabular order, otherwise.
Sure, I don't care either way as long as I get indexes on my
localized sort order (I do know I don't have a right to
request that unless I offer a patch ;-)

Karsten
--
GPG key ID E4071346 @ wwwkeys.pgp.net
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346

Re: LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 02:24:48AM +0200, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

>  (I do know I don't have a right to
> request that unless I offer a patch ;-)

IMHO, we as users have the right, and probably the duty as well, to
request (reasonable?) things, because that keeps the project alive.

Feeding the To-Do list is one of the tasks of users; reporting bugs,
testing beta releases and appraising developers being some others.

"Oh, great altar of passive entertainment, bestow upon me thy discordant images
at such speed as to render linear thought impossible" (Calvin a la TV)

Re: How to determine a database cluster's LC_COLLATE setting?

Дата:
"Forest Wilkinson" <lyris-pg@tibit.com> writes:
> How can I determine what LC_COLLATE setting was used initialize a
> postgres installation?

The pg_controldata utility program can tell you.

            regards, tom lane

Re: LC_COLLATE and index usage

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 03:34:24PM -0700, Forest Wilkinson wrote:
> ships internationally.  As I understand it, I can have good
> performance, or locale-specific ORDER BY output, but not both.  Is
> there a plan to remove this limitation?

I think there would be, if anyone could come up with a comprehensive
set of rules about how to handle these cases.  See the -hackers
archives for plenty of discussion of this.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110