Обсуждение: Converting from dbase

Converting from dbase

От
"Robert Fitzpatrick"
Дата:
Can anyone tell me where to get the file dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz? I want to
convert dbf files to PostgreSQL and I see references to this file all
over the net as located at
ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/incoming/dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz, but that does
not exists.

Also, there is a contrib/dbase in the source of 7.3.2, but can't seem to
get it to make. The README is more of a manual than installation
instructions. Anyone familiar with getting contribs installed,
particularly this one?

--
Robert

Re: Converting from dbase

От
Lamar Owen
Дата:
On Thursday 03 April 2003 22:35, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to get the file dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz? I want to
> convert dbf files to PostgreSQL and I see references to this file all
> over the net as located at
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/incoming/dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz, but that does
> not exists.

> Also, there is a contrib/dbase in the source of 7.3.2, but can't seem to
> get it to make. The README is more of a manual than installation
> instructions. Anyone familiar with getting contribs installed,
> particularly this one?

According to my RPM 'postgresql-contrib' dbf2pg is in contrib, and it builds
ok when I build the RPMset.  See the source RPM's specfile to see how it is
built and the directory context in which it is built.  I'll give you a hint,
though: here's the relevant section, executed with the current directory at
the top of the PostgreSQL source tree:

make -C contrib all

It Just Works (TM) when the proper context is available.  The proper context
is a built source tree, ready to be installed.  IOW, execute ./configure
(with your options), then make, then make -C contrib all.  All the contrib
modules (including dbf2pg) will get built.

Peter Eisentraut (who is responsible for It Just Works (TM)) can answer more
specific questions if I can't.

To install the contribs 'make -C contrib install' (which does install _all_
the contribs -- but the local makefile can be executed separately.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Converting from dbase

От
Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Friday 04 April 2003 03:35, Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Can anyone tell me where to get the file dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz? I want to
> convert dbf files to PostgreSQL and I see references to this file all
> over the net as located at
> ftp://ftp.postgresql.org/pub/incoming/dbf2pg-3.0.tar.gz, but that does
> not exists.

What is the big deal with "converting dbf" ? Some time ago I had some tables
under FoxPro 2.6, and here is what I did :
    Write a simple FoxPro program that read the table, creates "CREATE TABLE"
    and "INSERT INTO" statements.
    Result form this program are saved to text file.
    After that you only execute text file using psql. And that is it !
    No problem with "Memo" files, I suppose that "dbf2pg" does not know to
    read     Fox memo files.
    I suppose You are familiar with some "DBase" tool like Fox, Clipper etc..
    (otherwise where did You get those DBF files?).
    If the language You are using apparent to be Fox, I can try to find this
    code and send to You.

However, there is "dbase" source from contrib dir (7.2 version of postgres).
You will probably need to change the Makefile.

Regards !
Вложения