Дата:
Unless the subquery is correlated, you can reformulate it as a join.
-----Original Message-----
From: John Smith [mailto:john_smith_45678@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2003 1:03 PM
To: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Subject: [GENERAL] IN() alternatives

I thought I saw a doc somewhere showing alternatives to using IN() for better performance, but can't find it :(. Are there better performing query alternatives to this?

delete from tab1 where id in (select id2 from tab2 where ...);

Where the subquery returns 1-10K's of records.

John

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: IN() alternatives

От
Arjen van der Meijden
Дата:
With a delete query it is not very likely that that join will work...
Afaik there is no real optimisation possible for this situation, postgresql 7.4 claims to have much higher performance with these kinds of queries (where something IN (select)), so waiting for the release of pg7.4 might be your best bet :)

Although the query performance might be mostly foreign key checks, in which case you problably won't see that much difference.

Regards,

Arjen
Unless the subquery is correlated, you can reformulate it as a join.
I thought I saw a doc somewhere showing alternatives to using IN() for better performance, but can't find it :(. Are there better performing query alternatives to this?

delete from tab1 where id in (select id2 from tab2 where ...);

Where the subquery returns 1-10K's of records.

John

Do you Yahoo!?

Re: IN() alternatives

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Wed, Feb 05, 2003 at 01:02:53PM -0800, John Smith wrote:

> I thought I saw a doc somewhere showing alternatives to using IN() for better performance, but can't find it :(. Are
therebetter performing query alternatives to this?

> delete from tab1 where id in (select id2 from tab2 where ...);

Depending on what you're doing, postgres has an extension of SQL

DELETE FROM tab1 WHERE id=tab2.id2 AND tab2.somefield [some
condition].

At least, this has worked for me.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110