Обсуждение: createlang and Schemas

createlang and Schemas

От
"Ian Harding"
Дата:
createlang seems not to take a schema argument.  Should it?  I am trying to get rid of public, but if I use createlang
first,it depends on public, and if I try to use it later, I can't specify a schema.

I can just create language for now, but createlang is handy...

I love 7.3.

Ian

Re: createlang and Schemas

Дата:
"Ian Harding" <ianh@tpchd.org> writes:
> createlang seems not to take a schema argument.  Should it?

Hm.  The language itself does not have any associated schema --- but the
underlying call handler function does.  Perhaps there should be a way to
tell createlang which schema to put the function in.  Right now it will
be effectively determined by the default search path, so you could do

    PGOPTIONS='--search_path=myschema' createlang plpgsql mydb

but this seems inelegant.

            regards, tom lane

Re: createlang and Schemas

От
Peter Eisentraut
Дата:
Ian Harding writes:

> createlang seems not to take a schema argument.  Should it?

Schema of what?  Languages do not live in schemas.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: createlang and Schemas

От
Jochem van Dieten
Дата:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Ian Harding writes:
>
>> createlang seems not to take a schema argument.  Should it?
>
> Schema of what?  Languages do not live in schemas.

Languages not, but language call handler functions do.

Since languages are global to the database, I think the location for the
call handler functions should be the pg_catalog schema. Currently, that
creates a problem with pg_dump:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2002-12/msg01098.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2003-01/msg00006.php

Jochem

any caveat upgrading from 7.2.1 to 7.3.x on RH 7.3?

От
Jean-Luc Lachance
Дата:
Hi all,

Any caveat upgrading from 7.2.1 to 7.3.x on RH 7.3?

Like for example:

pg_access, perl's DBI::pg, function and/or keyword no longer supported,
different behaviours, etc

I know about COPY not converting '' to 0, but what about the rest?

I am craving for SCHEMA...

JLL

Re: createlang and Schemas

Дата:
Is this a TODO?  Not sure.

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ian Harding" <ianh@tpchd.org> writes:
> > createlang seems not to take a schema argument.  Should it?
>
> Hm.  The language itself does not have any associated schema --- but the
> underlying call handler function does.  Perhaps there should be a way to
> tell createlang which schema to put the function in.  Right now it will
> be effectively determined by the default search path, so you could do
>
>     PGOPTIONS='--search_path=myschema' createlang plpgsql mydb
>
> but this seems inelegant.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Re: any caveat upgrading from 7.2.1 to 7.3.x on RH 7.3?

Дата:
See HISTORY file in 7.3 release or release notes.