Обсуждение: Dropping fields

Dropping fields

От
"Robert Fitzpatrick"
Дата:
When I drop a field, the field is somewhat left over as
'........pg.dropped.5........', for instance. Is there a command that
needs to be ran after dropping a field?

--
Robert

Re: Dropping fields

Дата:
"Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert@webtent.com> writes:
> When I drop a field, the field is somewhat left over as
> '........pg.dropped.5........', for instance. Is there a command that
> needs to be ran after dropping a field?

Fix your application to ignore pg_attribute rows where attisdropped
is true.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Dropping fields

Дата:
All applications must now check for dropped columns and not print them.
There is a new pg_attribute.attisdropped for this.

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
> When I drop a field, the field is somewhat left over as
> '........pg.dropped.5........', for instance. Is there a command that
> needs to be ran after dropping a field?
>
> --
> Robert

Re: Dropping fields

От
"Robert Fitzpatrick"

> Fix your application to ignore pg_attribute rows where
> attisdropped is true.

So, PostgreSQL 7.3.x now holds all dropped fields information? What is
the purpose?

--
Robert

Re: Dropping fields

От
Doug McNaught
Дата:
"Robert Fitzpatrick" <robert@webtent.com> writes:

> > Fix your application to ignore pg_attribute rows where
> > attisdropped is true.
> >

> So, PostgreSQL 7.3.x now holds all dropped fields information? What is
> the purpose?

It's the way column dropping is implemented.  You couldn't drop
columns at all before 7.3.

-Doug