Обсуждение: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Çağıl Şeker
Дата:
Hi,

I am surprised by the fact that altering tables and columns is so limited in PostgreSQL, this powerful DBMS! Changing
columntypes and droping columns are missing important features I think.

I am corious about the rationale behind these design decisions. Are they high-end features for a DBMS? And if they are
beingplanned to be included in a future version, in which version and when if it's possible, they will be implemented?

Thanks for that powerful DBMS; it is superb on all other aspects!

Cagil SEKER
Software Engineer
BizNet Information Technology Systems and Consulting

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Neil Conway
Дата:
On Fri, 2002-11-29 at 11:05, Çağıl Şeker wrote:
> I am surprised by the fact that altering tables and columns is so
> limited in PostgreSQL, this powerful DBMS! Changing column types and
> droping columns are missing important features I think.

7.3 (released yesterday) supports DROP COLUMN, as well as a bunch of
other enhancements to ALTER TABLE.

As for changing the type of a column, how would this be anything more
than syntactic sugar over renaming the existing column to a temp name,
adding a new column with the appropriate type & name, moving the data
from the old column to the new one, and dropping the old one?

Since a lot of data type changes are not obvious (how do you convert the
data from one type to another, in all cases?), I don't see a real
problem leaving this in the hands of the admin. The one exception might
be changing the length limit on a varchar(n) column, but that's such a
small case I'm not sure it's worth the bother (and can be done by
hacking the system catalogs anyway).

Cheers,

Neil

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 03:22:06PM -0500, Neil Conway wrote:

> Since a lot of data type changes are not obvious (how do you convert the
> data from one type to another, in all cases?), I don't see a real
> problem leaving this in the hands of the admin. The one exception might
> be changing the length limit on a varchar(n) column, but that's such a
> small case I'm not sure it's worth the bother (and can be done by
> hacking the system catalogs anyway).

I agree with you that generally changing datatypes is a task best left
to the DBA, but in case of CHAR/VARCHAR length and probably NUMERIC
length/precision it would be very nice to have some kind of "syntactic
sugar".  Figuring out NUMERIC's atttypmod is not what I'd call trivial,
let alone change it.  Sure, it may be for you, but...

"Los dioses no protegen a los insensatos.  Éstos reciben protección de
otros insensatos mejor dotados" (Luis Wu, Mundo Anillo)

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Christoph Dalitz
Date: 29 Nov 2002 15:22:06 -0500
From: Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>

> > I am surprised by the fact that altering tables and columns is so
> > limited in PostgreSQL, this powerful DBMS! Changing column types and
> > droping columns are missing important features I think.

Actually this seems to be one of the rare areas where MySQL is better.
PG 7.3 improves a lot though.

> As for changing the type of a column, how would this be anything more
> than syntactic sugar over renaming the existing column to a temp name,
> adding a new column with the appropriate type & name, moving the data
> from the old column to the new one, and dropping the old one?

Is this latter procedure safe with respect to triggers?
Or is it necessary to recompile all triggers on the table?
The latter would be particularly cumbersume with PostgreSQL as there
is no ALTER TRIGGER RECOMPILE statement like in Oracle.

> Since a lot of data type changes are not obvious (how do you convert the
> data from one type to another, in all cases?), I don't see a real
> problem leaving this in the hands of the admin.

This assumes that the database admin and the application develloper are the
same person. In general this assumption is wrong and they are often even employed
by different companies so that the admin cannot be bothered with stupid schema
changes and the application develloper never gets DBA privileges.

So please keep on improving the possibility to make schema changes with ALTER commands.

Christoph Dalitz

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Çagil Seker
Дата:

I've started a new project a few weeks ago. I had to make a choice between these two dbs. Just because table and column
administrationis difficult on PG, I chose MySQL (although I'd found PG better on all other areas). Then at that time PG
7.3comes out and solves at least some of the problems! What a coincedence! Now I will switch to PG.

> > As for changing the type of a column, how would this be
> anything more
> > than syntactic sugar over renaming the existing column to a
> temp name,
> > adding a new column with the appropriate type & name,
> moving the data
> > from the old column to the new one, and dropping the old one?
> >
> Is this latter procedure safe with respect to triggers?
> Or is it necessary to recompile all triggers on the table?
> The latter would be particularly cumbersume with PostgreSQL as there
> is no ALTER TRIGGER RECOMPILE statement like in Oracle.

That's a huge problem really, not a syntactic sugar, otherwise more of a syntactic salt :)
I want some of my users (not all are db admin) to be able to alter tables with pgAdmin. How can I expect them to
achievethose N-step voodoo as it will be seen to them?

> > Since a lot of data type changes are not obvious (how do
> you convert the
> > data from one type to another, in all cases?), I don't see a real
> > problem leaving this in the hands of the admin.
> >
> This assumes that the database admin and the application
> develloper are the
> same person. In general this assumption is wrong and they are
> often even employed
> by different companies so that the admin cannot be bothered
> with stupid schema
> changes and the application develloper never gets DBA privileges.

This one is also true when we deal with bigger projects, like I will start in a month. I think PG should consider that
"small"administration problem. PG deserves this.

> So please keep on improving the possibility to make schema
> changes with ALTER commands.
>
> Christoph Dalitz

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Tino Wildenhain
Дата:
Hi Cagil,

--On Montag, 2. Dezember 2002 09:13 +0200 Çagil Seker
<cagils@biznet.com.tr> wrote:

> [...]

Without triggers and referential integrity, changing columns is a
lot easyer ;)

> I've started a new project a few weeks ago. I had to make a choice
> between these two dbs. Just because table and column administration is
> difficult on PG, I chose MySQL (although I'd found PG better on all other
> areas). Then at that time PG 7.3 comes out and solves at least some of
> the problems! What a coincedence! Now I will switch to PG.

... *snip* ...

> That's a huge problem really, not a syntactic sugar, otherwise more of a
> syntactic salt :) I want some of my users (not all are db admin) to be
> able to alter tables with pgAdmin. How can I expect them to achieve those
> N-step voodoo as it will be seen to them?

I dont think its wise to make regular changes to your table structure.
Let alone these changes are made by untrained people.

Regards
Tino

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

Дата:
Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> >> Actually this seems to be one of the rare areas where MySQL is better.
> >> PG 7.3 improves a lot though.
>
> Without triggers and referential integrity, changing columns is a
> lot easyer ;)

And if you want to be able to roll it back in an aborted transaction.
Many commerical databases don't even get this one right.

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Vivek Khera
Дата:

NC> problem leaving this in the hands of the admin. The one exception might
NC> be changing the length limit on a varchar(n) column, but that's such a
NC> small case I'm not sure it's worth the bother (and can be done by
NC> hacking the system catalogs anyway).

That's a PITA to do, and scares the willies out of mere mortals,
myself included.  Doing a add column, rename old, copy data, rename
new is also a PITA, and I'm not sure the effects of that on foreign
keys that my reference that column.

Internet: khera@kciLink.com       Rockville, MD       +1-240-453-8497
AIM: vivekkhera Y!: vivek_khera   http://www.khera.org/~vivek/

Re: ALTER TABLE & COLUMN

От
Tilo Schwarz
Дата:
Neil Conway writes:

> As for changing the type of a column, how would this be anything more
> than syntactic sugar over renaming the existing column to a temp name,
> adding a new column with the appropriate type & name, moving the data
> from the old column to the new one, and dropping the old one?

I agree with you that it is "just" syntactic sugar, but I like sweets ;-). For
example, from 7.2 to 7.3 we got DROP COLUMN which I think is really nice. In
the 7.2 documentation there is this example, how to "drop" a column:

CREATE TABLE temp AS SELECT did, city FROM distributors;
DROP TABLE distributors;
CREATE TABLE distributors (
    did      DECIMAL(3)  DEFAULT 1,
    name     VARCHAR(40) NOT NULL
);
INSERT INTO distributors SELECT * FROM temp;
DROP TABLE temp;

But users like me (and I guess even some admins) think "uuhhh, how do I do
this with a table with 150 columns, what happens to the triggers, I can make
so many errors and screw things up...". Now we have the syntactic glue and I
can tell the db to drop one out of the 150 columns and the chance that I mess
up the database are much smaller than before.

> Since a lot of data type changes are not obvious (how do you convert the
> data from one type to another, in all cases?), I don't see a real
> problem leaving this in the hands of the admin. The one exception might
> be changing the length limit on a varchar(n) column, but that's such a
> small case I'm not sure it's worth the bother (and can be done by
> hacking the system catalogs anyway).

What about this:

If the conversion can be done with a normal built in Postgresql cast, let's
use that one, e.g. from text to integer use the "normal" cast. If the user
wants some strange stuff, he has to define a conversion function. If we have
something non-obvious like circle -> integer, we need a user supplied
function. The syntax could be something like:

ALTER TABLE sometable
  ALTER COLUMN somecolumn SET TYPE TO integer USE FUNCTION circle2int

(maybe without the TO and USING instead of USE)

Then each element of the new column would be set to new = circle2int(old).

Just an idea...

Cheers

    Tilo