Обсуждение: bug: select date 'infinity' gives error

bug: select date 'infinity' gives error

От
Jean-Christian Imbeault
Дата:
According to the docs at
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?datatype-datetime.html,
'infinity' is a valid date input. I quote:

"The following SQL-compatible functions can be used as date or time
input ... 'infinity' [...]"

but I get the following error when trying to set a date to infinity ...

$ psql DB -c "select date 'infinity'"
ERROR:  Unrecognized date external representation 'infinity'

whereas it works as as a timestamp ...

$ psql DB -c "select timestamp 'infinity'"
  timestamptz
-------------
  infinity
(1 row)

Is my syntax wrong?

Re: bug: select date 'infinity' gives error

Дата:
Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc@mega-bucks.co.jp> writes:
> According to the docs at
> http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?datatype-datetime.html,
> 'infinity' is a valid date input.

This is a documentation bug.

            regards, tom lane

Tom Lane wrote:

> This is a documentation bug.

Oops, forgot to ask, should I submit a bug report? Or have you taken
care of that already?

Jc

Tom Lane wrote:

 >This is a documentation bug.

Shucks ...

Is there a way to get an equivalent to infinity for a date?

Also, what is the correct way to typecast? I have seen this version
"x::data_type" and also while researching infinity for dates
"timestamp'infinity'".

Is timstamp'infinity' type-casting, or a function call, or ...?

Thanks,

Jc