Обсуждение: Re: [HACKERS] MySQL vs PostgreSQL.

Re: [HACKERS] MySQL vs PostgreSQL.

От
Darko Prenosil
Дата:
On Saturday 12 October 2002 09:02, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 12 Oct 2002 at 11:36, Darko Prenosil wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, I guess there are many threads on this. You can dig around
> > > archives..

> > > Well, that remains as a point. Imagine a 100GB database on a 150GB disk
> > > array. How do you dump and reload? In place conversion of data is an
> > > absolute necessary feature and it's already on TODO.
> >
> > From PostgreSQL 7.3 Documentation :
> >
> > Use compressed dumps. Use your favorite compression program, for example
> > gzip. pg_dump dbname | gzip > filename.gz
>
> Yes. but that may not be enough. Strech the situation. 300GB database 350GB
> space. GZip can't compress better than 3:1. And don't think it's
> imagination. I am preparing a database of 600GB in near future. Don't want
> to provide 1TB of space to include redump.

Where You store Your regular backup (The one You use for security reasons, not
for version change)? Or You are not doing backup at all ???

Re: [HACKERS] MySQL vs PostgreSQL.

От
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Дата:
On 12 Oct 2002 at 17:58, Darko Prenosil wrote:

> On Saturday 12 October 2002 09:02, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > Yes. but that may not be enough. Strech the situation. 300GB database 350GB
> > space. GZip can't compress better than 3:1. And don't think it's
> > imagination. I am preparing a database of 600GB in near future. Don't want
> > to provide 1TB of space to include redump.
> >
> Where You store Your regular backup (The one You use for security reasons, not
> for version change)? Or You are not doing backup at all ???

No regular backups. Data gets recycled in fixed intervals. It's not stored
permannently anyway. And this is not single machine database. It's a cluster
with redundant components like RAID etc. So risk goes further down..

Lucky me.. didn't have to devise regular backup scheme for such a database..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Real Time, adj.:    Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only occurs there
and then.