Обсуждение: Speaking of dblink

Speaking of dblink

От
"Weaver, Walt"
Дата:
Could someone point me in the direction of some documentation on dblink? I
haven't been able to find anything on it on postgresql.org, and I'd like to
learn more about it.

Thanks,
--Walt Weaver
  Bozeman, Montana

Re: Speaking of dblink

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Weaver, Walt wrote:
> Could someone point me in the direction of some documentation on dblink? I
> haven't been able to find anything on it on postgresql.org, and I'd like to
> learn more about it.

See README.dblink in contrib/dblink of the source distribution. I believe it
also gets installed by the RPM -- yep, here it is:

# rpm -ql postgresql-contrib | grep README.dblink
/usr/lib/pgsql/contrib/dblink/README.dblink

HTH,

Joe

Re: Speaking of dblink

От
"Weaver, Walt"
Дата:
Yup, found that, I've got dblink set up, I was just hoping to find a bit
more in-depth information.

Thanks for the help,

--Walt

> Could someone point me in the direction of some documentation on dblink? I
> haven't been able to find anything on it on postgresql.org, and I'd like
> learn more about it.

See README.dblink in contrib/dblink of the source distribution. I believe it

also gets installed by the RPM -- yep, here it is:

# rpm -ql postgresql-contrib | grep README.dblink
/usr/lib/pgsql/contrib/dblink/README.dblink

HTH,

Joe

Re: Speaking of dblink

От
Joe Conway
Дата:
Weaver, Walt wrote:
> Yup, found that, I've got dblink set up, I was just hoping to find a bit
> more in-depth information.

Sorry -- that's it for the moment. If you have any specific questions, feel
free to ask ;-)

BTW, if you can, I'd recommend getting PostgreSQL 7.3beta 2, which should be
out in the next couple of days. The functionality of dblink is much improved
(and somewhat different) from the previous one. The original syntax is now
deprecated in favor of the new syntax, although the old will be supported for
this release. The documentation is a bit expanded as well, and there is a
regression test script which illustrates the usage of each of the functions.

Joe

Re: Speaking of dblink

От
"Weaver, Walt"
Дата:
Sounds good, I'll look for the 7.3 beta.

Thanks!

--Walt

> Yup, found that, I've got dblink set up, I was just hoping to find a bit
> more in-depth information.

Sorry -- that's it for the moment. If you have any specific questions, feel
free to ask ;-)

BTW, if you can, I'd recommend getting PostgreSQL 7.3beta 2, which should be

out in the next couple of days. The functionality of dblink is much improved

(and somewhat different) from the previous one. The original syntax is now
deprecated in favor of the new syntax, although the old will be supported
for
this release. The documentation is a bit expanded as well, and there is a
regression test script which illustrates the usage of each of the functions.

Joe

Re: Speaking of dblink

От
Manuel Cabido
Дата:
Sir,

    We had been experimenting with dblink to perform remote update and
remote queries and queries involving multiple remote databases. It works
fine in our local intranet. I still need to find out how it would fare
when some of the remote database servers will be located outside of our
local intranet.

    We tried to work on designing and implementing a distributed database
with most of the relations are horizontally partitioned particularly those
which are experiencing dynamic behaviour while those which are not always
updated are fully replicated in all the sites. Our experience showed that
these requirements are ably supported by dblink.

Manny Cabido
MSU-Iligan Institute of Technology
Iligan City 9200
Philippines