Обсуждение: Re: Table with 90 columns

Re: Table with 90 columns

От
"Ligia Pimentel"
Дата:
Yes, a very wide table (many columns) will be less efficient than a table
with less columns (this is a matter of relational concepts and
normalization).

I suspect you could re-check your relational design and find many fields
that are very repetitive. If you really think you need all this columns in
the same table because of the nature of your application (which I doubt), it
will be reasonable to divide the fields in the table according to the
frecuency of use of each group of fields (a lot of fields will be almost
fixed, -not updated often- and other will be updated frequenly). Like the
parts of the record that are related to general iformation and the other
fields that are related to transactions or balances or status.

I hope this helps.

http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Normal/Normal1/print_html
http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=4887&pg=1

Good day!

Ligia

Re: Table with 90 columns

От
Michael und Katrin Rudolph
Дата:
Ligia Pimentel schrieb:
> Yes, a very wide table (many columns) will be less efficient than a table
> with less columns (this is a matter of relational concepts and
> normalization).
>
> I suspect you could re-check your relational design and find many fields
> that are very repetitive. If you really think you need all this columns in
> the same table because of the nature of your application (which I doubt), it
> will be reasonable to divide the fields in the table according to the
> frecuency of use of each group of fields (a lot of fields will be almost
> fixed, -not updated often- and other will be updated frequenly). Like the
> parts of the record that are related to general iformation and the other
> fields that are related to transactions or balances or status.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/MySQL/Normal/Normal1/print_html
> http://www.sqlmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=4887&pg=1
>

> Good day!
>
> Ligia

Unfortunately I need every column in my application. The problem is,
that the application is Web-based, and it would be a lot more logic
needed on the client-side to separate into general and other
information. The client is just a web-browser, so it is difficult (hence
partly possible) to implement that logic. Is there any hint, how many
columns per table are still reasonable?

TIA

Michael