Обсуждение: database replication

database replication

От
lego lego
Дата:
Hello,

i want to ask if someone have experiance with data
replication for postgres. I know there is project
called postgres-r going on but it's still
unfinnished. But I need much simplier system more
mysql like. Having one server for insert that
are propagated to other servers used just for
selects.

I know i can probably do it myself with triggers and
some
deamon, but i want to ask if someone have done it
before,
as i don't like to reinvent wheel here;-)

I think that this cases should be taken in
consideration:

* one DB slows down
* one DB crash down
* resync DB after some transaction failure
* add new DB to system
* remove (temporarily) DBs from the system (for
trouble shooting).

I have tried http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net
but it's not working very well for me.

Any linka and pointers will be helpfull.

Thanks

Peter

Yahoo! - We Remember
http://dir.remember.yahoo.com/tribute

Re: database replication

От
Alvaro Herrera
Дата:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, lego lego wrote:

Hello,

> i want to ask if someone have experiance with data
> replication for postgres. I know there is project
> called postgres-r going on but it's still
> unfinnished. But I need much simplier system more
> mysql like. Having one server for insert that
> are propagated to other servers used just for
> selects.

There are some attempts at replication. One is rserv, which is included
in contrib/. It's not very well documented, but it gets the job done if
you look at it very hard. If you want better support or more perfomance,
you can ask the guys at www.pgsql.com, as they sell a commercial
version.

There are others, but this one should be enough.

Si no sabes adonde vas, es muy probable que acabes en otra parte.

Re: database replication

От
Andrew Sullivan
Дата:
On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 02:19:06AM -0700, lego lego wrote:

> I know i can probably do it myself with triggers and
> some
> deamon, but i want to ask if someone have done it
> before,
> as i don't like to reinvent wheel here;-)

Then cd to contrib/rserv, and have a look there.  That's more or less
the strategy.

You can buy s souped-up version of it from PostgreSQL, Inc.  We use
it, and it's good.

I've also read reports of success with DBMirror, which will be in the
contrib/ tree in 7.3.  The beginning announcement is at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2002-02/msg00004.php.  I
haven't used it, so I can't report on it.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110