Обсуждение: Tuple identifier (tid) - object identifiers

Tuple identifier (tid) - object identifiers

От
Tourtounis Sotiris
Дата:
    In Postgres documentation there is a reference of the tid that is by
default inserted for each tuple in the database where is it, which takes
an extra  percent of the database's storage space.
    It's referred that is of the general form:
tid : <block number, tuple index within each block>
    Is it possible afterwards the installation of Postgres to not have
it on database's size. Or most important can we see its size (tid) per
tuple or totally to the whole database (size of the block number , size
of tuple index within each block)? Does it have some default values and
which are those?Thanks you

                                                 SWTHRHS TOYRTOYNHS
                                                (tourtoun@csd.uch.gr)

Re: Tuple identifier (tid) - object identifiers

Дата:
The tid is the page/offset of the tuple.  You can't really remove it
because it is a characteristic of the tuple, not really in each tuple.
Each page has a number, and each page has slots, so the page number/slot
number of the tuple is its tid.

However, there is a ctid element in the heap tuple header:

    ItemPointerData t_ctid;     /* current TID of this or newer tuple */

and that is used more make tid access easier and to chain tuples to
newer versions.  Not much saving there.

7.3 will reduce the typle header by 8 bytes, so there is progress being
made on tuple overhead reduction.